Akg K701 Recable Mod

hardnrg

So, I've had my K701s for quite a while now. First, I had them connected to the headphone output of my speaker amp. Then, I tried them connected through an unused old DJ mixer, with a slightly better result (as they have a higher power headphone output). Finally, I accepted that I needed to build my own speaker amp, and ended up making a custom solid-state M

Yeah the K701 comes terminated with a 1/4" TRS jack plug, there is a 1/4" female to 3.5mm male jack adaptor supplied with them.

Afaik, the K702 is almost entirely identical, but, aside from being black, some have 8 bumps on the headband instead of the 7 on the K701

I was thinking about doing something like this to mine but money would probably be better spent upgrading my starving student. Those headphones still look sexy even with the hole you created, from your pics it looks like it was supposed to be there.

I was thinking about doing something like this to mine but money would probably be better spent upgrading my starving student.

Yeah, I'd definitely say upgrade/replace the amp first...

My order would be something like:

Headphones, Source, Amp, Interconnects, Headphone cable, Power cable (lol)

I'm glad people are impressed by my mod, I wasn't sure if that many people would really care lol

Yeah, I'd definitely say upgrade/replace the amp first...

My order would be something like:

Headphones, Source, Amp, Interconnects, Headphone cable, Power cable (lol)

I'm glad people are impressed by my mod, I wasn't sure if that many people would really care lol

Don't forget the fuses! :ph34r:

It certainly takes a set to modify a headset with that hefty price tag! Not only that but you achieved balance or something...right? In any case, you did an, "ace" job :thumbs-up:

Don't forget the fuses! :ph34r:

plug_pillar_terminals_newcolour_class1.png13-amp-plug.jpg

In the UK, the mains plug is fused, so the power cord has the main (or only) fuse. My headphone amp isn't internally fused.

It's not balanced ekiM, you'd need to terminate the cable with two XLRs instead of a jack. A lot of people do this, but you need a balanced amp, and one or more balanced sources. I'm fine with unbalanced, single-ended signals... for now, lol