Phenom 2 X4 940 Evaluated

Nemo

Great review :) When you said you wanted to keep an open mind on it, not get your hopes up yet not underestimate it, I think that's how alot of us felt. Good to see AMD did something right with this generation. :)

Let's see if there will be any performance improvement with an AM3 board :)

Edit: But so far it seems very interesting. A performant option for cheap price :)

They just need a bit more voltage to get to the announced 6GHz...

Scores began to appear on Hwbot.org. Check this one, apparently he only needed 1.8V to get to 5GHz. :)

Alan what's their VID?

Edited by The Smith

Very nice review! I like the way you broke down the prices of the board and chip to show AMD's real selling point here. When you figure in the price of DDR3 to the i7 side, the difference will be even more obvious! It's really cool to see AMD stepping back up to the plate. My next upgrade will be a long time out still, but I like the idea of considering both AMD and Intel. I haven't done that in a long time :)

I'm curious though. You said that they're working on a DDR3 option for these chips? Looking at your screenshots, it looks like the base FSB for these is still 200mhz. Is that right? I know I rant about memory speeds a lot, but it hardly seems beneficial to run DDR3 at those speeds.

Well, all AMD processors use a reference bus of 200 mhz. It's different than the FSB technology Core 2 uses.

Yeah, I know that AMD and Intel use different memory bus styles. My question is what is the stock memory speed on a 1:1 ratio for these new AMD chips? To me, it looks like 200mhz, and if that's the case even the slowest DDR3 (1066, by my count) would just be mega-super overkill.

My question is what is the stock memory speed on a 1:1 ratio for these new AMD chips?
Well, with the way the memory controller works there really isn't a 1:1 ratio. 1:1 would be DDR2-400 and I can't imagine you ever cranking the reference so high you'd need to use it.

Even the new i7 uses a 133 MHz reference bus. :)

It's great to see the new Phenom II's did so well for such a low price, I really hope this pressures Intel into lowering their prices on the i7's

I can't wait to see the benches with tri-channel DDR3!