13 replies to this topic

#1 H2O

H2O

Member Is A Genius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 10:16 AM

I have a file currently with a .exe extension and it turns out that it isn't an executable. I have tried changing the extension to zip, iso, bin to no avail! <_<

I was wondering whether it is possible for me to figure out what is the correct extension to the file without having to randomly guess?

Or better still is there a software out there which can resolve an incorrect file extension?

#2 O(V)eGA_l2el)

O(V)eGA_l2el)

Total Nerd

• Folding Member
  • 3005 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 10:37 AM

Try this:
Folder Options-->View and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
This will unhide extensions of all files.

#3 H2O

H2O

Member Is A Genius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for the reply, but that's not it...

I know the current extension which is .exe, but when I double click on it, I just get a glimpse of a dos window and then it disappears. Which means that the file is not an executable [I already checked it's not a virus also]. My question is not about seeing the file extension, it's about finding out the correct file extension.

Still looking for ideas

#4 d3bruts1d

d3bruts1d

Posting Nut

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9957 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 10:57 AM

If you know what the files is suppose to be (movie, cd image, etc) that can help you narrow down the extensions.

However, I've never heard of a program that will tell you what the file should be. Especially if it's got the wrong extension on it.

My suggestion would be to contact the creator/owner of the file, or whoever you got it from.

The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent that of OverclockersClub.com, its affiliates or sponsors.
If you enjoy my ramblings you may want to visit my blog, follow me on Twitter, or friend me on Facebook.

#5 DevilMB3017

DevilMB3017

DevilMB3017

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3721 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 11:54 AM

My guess, you downloaded a "Game" from Kazaa and now have a Virus. Run an anti-virus program right away...Virii will use DOS a lot of time.
Devil'sHome:Asus P5LD2|Pentium D 940|ATi FireGL V7200|2042MB DDR2|XP Pro
Devil'sOffice:Foxconn MB|Intel Dual Core @ 3GHz|MSI Radeon|2042MB DDR|XP Pro
Devil'sLaptop:Dell Vostro|Core2Duo|GeForce8600M|3072MB DDR2|GeForce8600M|Vista

Devil'sRide:'91 Nissan 240SX|Built Motor|Turbo'd|Manual Transmission|Too fast. Too loud.

#6 Some_Guy_

Some_Guy_

Busticated.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1654 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 12:06 PM

:withstupid:

If it opened a DOS window, then it must have been an executable. Otherwise, you would have had a message saying something like "This is not a valid Win32 application."
Posted Image

#7 H2O

H2O

Member Is A Genius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 12:25 PM

I know for a fact that it is not a virus, since I did a scan of the file before executing it and one full system scan after the execution was done, unless it's a new unknown virus, the anti-virus software would have caught the booger! So I'm safe to say that the computer is clean of any viruses.

It is correct to say that the file was downloaded from a P2P and it is not a "game" :P

I guess my best bet is to try every extension I know would be associated with that file and hopefully one will fit. <_< Or hunt down somebody with that same file and ask question as d3 suggested.

Thanks for the help.

#8 ClayMeow

ClayMeow

Member Title Exceeds Member Title Character Limit

• Review Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19294 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 06:27 PM

:withstupid:

If it opened a DOS window, then it must have been an executable. Otherwise, you would have had a message saying something like "This is not a valid Win32 application."

:withstupid: If it opened and closed a dos window, it's an executable. It could be that you actually need other files to run the "game". How big was this file? Was it supposed to be an installer, or is it small, and could it just be the executable that's supposed to run the game. Sometimes people are stupid and share their whole freakin harddrive.

CMt.png
- Steam - Raptr - Xfire - GameSpot - Kongregate - IGN Blog -
- ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i7 3770k - NVIDIA GTX 770 - 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1866MHz -
::: Follow OCC on facebook.png ::: OCC Xfire Clan ::: OCC Steam Community Group ::: OCC Rules :::

::: OCC E3 2013 Awards ::: CES 2013 ::: COMPUTEX 2010 :::

::: Razer Sabertooth Review ::: Watch Dogs Review :::

#9 DevilMB3017

DevilMB3017

DevilMB3017

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3721 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 09:15 PM

Just because a virus scan didnt detect doesnt mean its not a virus <_<

A well written trojan horse will look like a program, not a virus, funny how those things work. They manage to steal anything you type, essiantially with your authorization...

And just to double check, you do know adding .*** to the end of a file doesn't change the exstenstion type, right? I don't know any way to change the type of program something is, its either a zip or an exe, etc., it can't be confused about what it is...
Devil'sHome:Asus P5LD2|Pentium D 940|ATi FireGL V7200|2042MB DDR2|XP Pro
Devil'sOffice:Foxconn MB|Intel Dual Core @ 3GHz|MSI Radeon|2042MB DDR|XP Pro
Devil'sLaptop:Dell Vostro|Core2Duo|GeForce8600M|3072MB DDR2|GeForce8600M|Vista

Devil'sRide:'91 Nissan 240SX|Built Motor|Turbo'd|Manual Transmission|Too fast. Too loud.

#10 H2O

H2O

Member Is A Genius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 08:41 AM

The file size is about 88MBytes and it is supposed to be an installer. I guess the person who created the file did something incorrectly somewhere. :(

I've tried every extension I know and still can't get it to work.

I do know that just adding .*** to the end of the file doesn't change anything. I did mention that I changed the file extension and not added the extension to the file! B)

I gave up on trying to figure it out, I'll be purchasing the "game" [as u guys put it :P ] tonight on my way home! It's only about $70+tax, but I just wanted to save myself the trouble of having to drive to Best Buy in this cold weather! <_<

#11 ClayMeow

ClayMeow

Member Title Exceeds Member Title Character Limit

• Review Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19294 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 11:09 AM

The file size is about 88MBytes and it is supposed to be an installer. I guess the person who created the file did something incorrectly somewhere. :(

I've tried every extension I know and still can't get it to work.

I do know that just adding .*** to the end of the file doesn't change anything. I did mention that I changed the file extension and not added the extension to the file! B)

I gave up on trying to figure it out, I'll be purchasing the "game" [as u guys put it :P ] tonight on my way home! It's only about $70+tax, but I just wanted to save myself the trouble of having to drive to Best Buy in this cold weather! <_<

$70+ for a game???? what game is that?

CMt.png
- Steam - Raptr - Xfire - GameSpot - Kongregate - IGN Blog -
- ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i7 3770k - NVIDIA GTX 770 - 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1866MHz -
::: Follow OCC on facebook.png ::: OCC Xfire Clan ::: OCC Steam Community Group ::: OCC Rules :::

::: OCC E3 2013 Awards ::: CES 2013 ::: COMPUTEX 2010 :::

::: Razer Sabertooth Review ::: Watch Dogs Review :::

#12 H2O

H2O

Member Is A Genius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 12:15 PM

Actually I never said it was a game, I always called it a file until I saw everybody talking about it in terms of "game"!