Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi and Silicon Image 3114 on DFI SLI-DR

Just wanted to throw in my two-cents about my sudden disappointment with the Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card and the Silicon Image 3114 onboard SATA-I PCI RAID controller.

I've had this system since January 2006 and this sound card has been great. Today I received new 500GB hard drives and decided to make usage of the onboard Silicon Image 3114 controller to do a 4x 500GB RAID5 (Parity) array.

When I enabled the onboard controller and plugged in the hard drives the sound card started popping and crackling the moment that Windows booted up without even starting any music or games. When I went back into the BIOS and disabled the onboard RAID controller the sound card worked fine. So there is a conflict between this sound card and the controller clear as day.

The controller is initializing the 1.3TB RAID5 (Parity) array so there is data flowing between it and the hard drives and my guess is that this is some kind of a problem with the sound card due to the PCI bus board. Once this initializiation is completed I'll see if this problem gets resolved.

I moved the sound card between all 3-available PCI slots but that didn't work. I thought that after the sound card moved to the one slot before the last one and stopped sharing its IRQ 16 between itself and the controller that my problems would stop, but it didn't work since even on separate IRQ 19 the card still had problems. I played with some BIOS settings but they didn't work. I already have all the latest firmware for my motherboard and drivers for the sound card and the RAID controller so updating files is not a solution.

I read a few posts regarding this pretty infamous problem with this sound card but the solutions being offered of enabling dual-channel memory and increasing CPU voltage or updating sound drivers do not work for me because I already have all these things implemented in my system.

So for now I'm using my onboard RealTek ALC850 AC'97 8-Channel audio and it sounds just fine. I really want to get this X-Fi sound card to work but I don't think that it's going to happen.

Computer

CPU: AMD Opteron 175 Dual-Core 2.2GHz 1MB 90nm 939 11x CCBWE 0543TPMW - 2,750MHz (250x11x4), 1.70V (1.55Vx109.6%), 45C Load

MOB: DFI LanParty UT SLI-DR Expert 939 nF4 PCI-e Rev.AA0 - BIOS: 2006-04-06, LDT 1.20V, Chipset 1.52V, 42C Load

RAM: Mushkin 2x1GB XP4000 Redline 991493 DDR500 3-3-2-8 2.6V-2.9V CE-6 - Orange Slots, 2.80V, 250MHz (1:1) 1T 3-3-2-8

FAN: Zalman CNPS9500 LED 92mm Fan+Heatsink + Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste 99.9%

VID: eVGA nVidia 7800GT CO 256MB 470/1100 MHz PCI-e 2xDVI 1xSVID 1xHDTV - 480/1150MHz Auto-Overclock, DR: 8.4.2.1

SAT: Silicon Image 3114 PCI SATA-I 150MB/s RAID 0,1,5 Onboard Controller FW: 5.2.16 DR: 1.5.5.0

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 16MB SATA-II 300MB/s - 2x in Nvidia 298GB RAID1 (Mirror) Array

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 16MB SATA-I 150MB/s - 4x in Silicon Image 3114 1.4TB RAID5 (Parity) Array

NIC: Marvell Yukon 88E8001 Gigabit Onboard PCI NIC - DR: 8.56.7.3

SOU: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music 24-bit 128-Voice 109dB SNR DR: 2.09.0001 (2.09.0300)

SOU: RealTek ALC850 AC'97 Rev 2.3 8-Channel Onboard Audio - DR: A3.83 (5.10.00.6170)

DVD: NEC ND-3540A DVD+-RW SL/DL 16X DVD 48X CDR - FW: 1.04

DVD: NEC ND-3550A DVD+-RW SL/DL 16X DVD 48X CDR - FW: 1.06

POW: OCZ PowerStream 520W SLI ADJ ATX2.0 EPS12, +3.3V 28A +5V 40A +12V 33A

CAS: Lian-Li PC-V1200 Plus Mid-ATX Aluminum 4x5.25 6x3.5 2x120mm

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no expert on PSU's, but are you sure 520w is enough for that setup? Lot's of drives, solid overclock, and the GPU of yours needs alot of power as well. I don't know anything about the Creative X-fi, but I guess it needs a few Watts, too.

When I installed my DFI board I got no sound for a while, because I simply had forgotten to enable the onboard sound in the bios. Maybe a solution to your problem is to disable the Realtec before using the X-fi.

You're running into an IRQ sharing issue that is known with the Creative X-Fi cards. Search the forum for threads on this issue.

You didn't read my post. I said that I moved the sound card out of the last PCI slot to move it to a separate IRQ 19 than the IRQ 16 that the controller users and that doesn't solve the problem.

I'm no expert on PSU's, but are you sure 520w is enough for that setup?

When I installed my DFI board I got no sound for a while, because I simply had forgotten to enable the onboard sound in the bios.

I wish that this was a smart power supply so I could see the load on the 5V rail. So far all the rails are within the voltage requirements. I'll monitor them for dips though. I don't think that it's a power issue when a BIOS setting that enables/disables the 3114 controller makes the problem appear/disappear like that.

No worries about the on-board sound. I disabled it originally but now I enabled it so I can actually have sound out of my computer that doesn't make my ears bleed like the X-Fi.

I think that I might have to pawn off this X-Fi unless I find a solution to it this week. Then I'll just buy an older Audigy sound card instead to get off the on-board.

You didn't read my post. I said that I moved the sound card out of the last PCI slot to move it to a separate IRQ 19 than the IRQ 16 that the controller users and that doesn't solve the problem.

Of course I read your post. DO NOT ASSUME!

You've still got an IRQ sharing problem.

I'm wondering if it's possible to make some kind of guide about how to get rid of the x-fi problem, as it's such a pain to so many ppl around. Those other threads that have been emntioned are not THAT easy to find, actually. The problem is that if you search for like "x-fi problem" you end up with a bunch of hits with the word "problem" in the post, where the user has stated that he has an "x-fi" in the sig.

Their is a guide on the Creative Forum that shows you how to do a reg edit and clear up the issue with IRQ Sharing Coflicts with the XFI Series cards.

I suggest you take a look their as a staring point!

Heres another suggestion check and see what IRQ that you're GFX card resides on.

dude use the middle pci slot....it will help (and dont use the bottom pci slot), it will help the problem but not remove it..

(making sure you not sharing irq etc..)

Its not as much a a sil 3114 problem, as a pci bus problem (onboard or otherwise), even a pci ide or pci sata controller has the same problem.. (with with older pci sound cards) if it uses the pci bus.

it a problem with to much data (heavy pci buss activity) and latence problem, if you use the onboard sound its ok... (it uses pci express bus).

so if you use any controler (that uses the pci buss) and your pci sound card, you will have the problem.

if you go out aand buy a pci-express sata controller (i have) and not use any pci controller technology (pci ide/sata/scsi)+ the onboard sil 3114..

the problem goes away....

and (for me if i use the firewire port on the sound card) the problems comes back..)

your sound card uses the pci bus more (puts more data througn it) so any irq sharing or any medium data output through the buss causes this problem. (it take more data output to stuff my card up...)

asus have a motherboard that has a pci-express sound card. they did this because they did not have space on the motherboard back plate to put it on. but most of the on-board sound cards use the pci-express bus, so they dont have this problem with the nf4/5 chipset...

the problem may be limited to creative sound cards..., but for me similar heavy setup.. on a via asus board +4800 chip + same sound card had no problems (other than be a crappy asus product).. i think either it a problem with nf chipsets + creative, or maybe a change in the chipsets in general " that have pci-express technology..." " how the pci bus+pci-express has been implemented in its design...."

------------------

my setup...

(ill read the manual now)....done.

clear the cmos for 24 hours is like doing a " rest configuration data " it reset the configuration data so it like the motherboard is being on for the first time[releases all irqs etc] and detecting whats plug in it.. and set its up, then windows will detect the hardware again... and it will set irq etc differently...

or if you still having problems (sharing wise) use irq resorses in bios.....

(i found in my system i cat use the botom pci slot i get a irq sharing problem (pci ide card was in it) now it using the top pci slot.

i have the same (or simplar problem) with my creative zs (7.1) sound card..

its even worst if you use the firewire port on the card..but if i rip it out and plug it in a via (agp) system + 4800x2 their is no problems..

its a problem with the chipset - sound card (some people have the problem, some dont, and some have the problem -ut dont know they have it....). its not a irq problem (you can set it so it has its own irq in the low ranges or high ranges, makes little difference..

the fact is many different creative sounds card have the problem with my board (and or chipset) but the same cards on a different chipset dont..

its something to do with the pci interface buss and latence timmin, causing crackink,hissing , poping.

iv fully tested it, only fixed on a different (non nf4 board. ) (IT NOT A DFI PROBLEM).

P.S (if you share the irq it will be much worst etc... problems are emplyfied etc...)

iv found the more hdd activity (more than 1 hdd act the same time ) + playing musc caused the pops etc.. but if i use just 1 hdd (from the sil 3114 or the nf4 sata or ide) it ok. just if i am using say 2+ hdd at the same time.

(high pci/hdd activity has the problem) it gets worst if i use a firewire burner(or hdd) hookup to the sound card firewire port + play music, but if i hookit it up to the motherboard firewire (400) it ok.. (using the firewire port on the sound card pushed more data through the pci buss, causing the problem to be worst)...

with my setup i can test it many different ways..

they say you can play with the pci latence in the bios to get a improvement... but im not sure how?

Their is a guide on the Creative Forum that shows you how to do a reg edit and clear up the issue with IRQ Sharing Coflicts with the XFI Series cards.

I suggest you take a look their as a staring point!

Heres another suggestion check and see what IRQ that you're GFX card resides on.

I've been looking through the forum but I really can't find the guide. PLEASE help us. I know, I'm probably both stupid AND blind, but I couldn't find it during the hour and a half I was searching for it.

Have You guys heard of the search function? Here's the link you do the searching for you're specific problem...http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/se...q=IRQ+conflicts

Sorry, not trying to be a dick but its like 53 pages deep just look around within this search and I am sure that you will find what I am refering too! But the post I read a while back the problem was actually solved by a CREATIVE staff member!