RAID5 Continuous "Restore Redundancy"?

Apologiez in advance if the answer is in here somewhere, but I was unable to find it.

I'm running Windows XP x64 with three 160G Barracudas in a RAID5 array. The setup was a classy lady, but I did finally get it working. Here is my current problem:

Every time I power up the computer from power off/hibernate/stand by the Silicon Image 3114 controller initiates a "Restore Redundancy" task. I can see this via the SATARAID5 java utility (which IMHO is a disgrace to java development, can they please open source it or something and I'll personally at least fix the crappy GUI).

The "Restore Redundancy" task takes about 6h to complete and during this time the array is marked as being in a "reduced" state and performance from the array is dismal. After losing a large number of harddrives with essential data on them over the last few years, I really want RAID5. However, having the controller tax the disks with a six hour continuous read/write operation every time I turn the computer on is not making me too happy about the setup. The array is right now performing this operation for about the 15th time and I'm about to get an ulcer. Have people on these forums got RAID 5 to work properly using the 3114?

Also is there a way to access the S.M.A.R.T information on the disks when they are connected via the SiI3114 controller? This might tell me something about the disks , but the only way to even look at the array that I know of so far is the SATARAID5 utility.

I'm running the 1.2.3.1 x64 SiI3114 drivers and the latest nF4 x64 drivers from the DFI site.

I've talked to SiliconImage and Seagate and no luck so far. Any help would be much appreciated.

Ok I can stop my ranting now. I've just had what must be one of the best support experiences I've ever had. I shot Silicon Image support an email with the problem, two hours later I got a personal response from Mark Reimold who must be either writing the code himself or is at least very on top of his stuff. After a second email and a day of waiting he personally posted a new driver on the Silicon Image supports site. The new driver fixes the problem.

The new driver has version 1.3.0.9 (v.s. the old one 1.2.3.1) and can be downloaded from:

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/index.aspx

It comes as an MSI package which also updates the SATARAID5 utility.

Support response was fast, personal, to the point, knowledgeable and fixed the problem...can't get much better than that, way to go Silicon Image!

Still can't quite belive this happened...guess I've been in this business too long hmmm?

This post refers to Windows XP pro x64 and the 64 bit version of the drivers

Other than their 3114 controller seems a little slow; you are right in that if given all the surrounding circumstances in a non-combative format> the guys at Silicon Image have always been tops in my book. They have gone out of their way to help me before. In fact far beyond plain old duty as it were.

RGone...

Ok I can stop my ranting now. I've just had what must be one of the best support experiences I've ever had. I shot Silicon Image support an email with the problem, two hours later I got a personal response from Mark Reimold who must be either writing the code himself or is at least very on top of his stuff. After a second email and a day of waiting he personally posted a new driver on the Silicon Image supports site. The new driver fixes the problem.

The new driver has version 1.3.0.9 (v.s. the old one 1.2.3.1) and can be downloaded from:

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/index.aspx

It comes as an MSI package which also updates the SATARAID5 utility.

Support response was fast, personal, to the point, knowledgeable and fixed the problem...can't get much better than that, way to go Silicon Image!

Still can't quite belive this happened...guess I've been in this business too long hmmm?

Yea would have to agree. The performance of the 3114 is not exactly stellar. Also my disks are SATA II and the NForce controller supports SATA II, but the SiliconImage doesn't. Unfortunately the SI controller is the only one that supports RAID 5. So you get to choose between reliability (RAID 5 and SiI3114) and speed (nF4 RAID).

Hate compromising...