3930k overclocking

ir_cow

does anyone know a good guide for overclocking the 3930k or anything on the 2011?

I don't know what is safe voltage for the cpu or this new cpu strap thing since blck doesn't move anymore. also the K series has unlocked mulit but mine stuck on auto and i don't know what options i need to turn off to be able to adjust it.

Any help would be great, thanks!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres a guide I found when I first got mine : http://www.overclock.net/t/1189242/sandy-bridge-e-overclocking-guide-walk-through-explanations-and-support-for-all-x79-overclockers

Im running 4.5GHz at 1.35V currently. I ran 5GHz at 1.45V and 1.475V but degradation occurs fast at high voltage so for a ncie long lifespan you're better off with voltages at 1.38V or lower.

You dont have to use BCLK straps to overclock, I personally find it stabler and easier with ratio overclocking. I have mine set to 100mhz BCLK and 45x multi

thanks! I was aiming for a 4.5ghz overclock, good thing i don't have to bump the voltage much. I did some quick reading from googling and found anything above 1.4 voltage is past the safe limits so i'm gonna try to keep it low as possible.

I also have Rev. C2 which i guess clocks higher (duuno if this is true)

Edited by hornybluecow

I also have Rev. C2 which i guess clocks higher (duuno if this is true)

Havent seen many results on C2, some say theres no difference. But you might be lucky :)

Nobody really knows the maximum voltage for Intel's newer batches of chips. Rule of thumb from all over the internet says to stay under 1.45 for longevity purposes but there are also a lot of people who push 1.5 volts or more through their CPUs on a regular basis and haven't killed anything yet. :lol:

well that was a lot of reading, I find it scary to bump voltages of things i don't know. luckily the first page has voltage limits so i'll keep them inside the safe zone and play around with overclocking.

Nobody really knows the maximum voltage for Intel's newer batches of chips. Rule of thumb from all over the internet says to stay under 1.45 for longevity purposes but there are also a lot of people who push 1.5 volts or more through their CPUs on a regular basis and haven't killed anything yet. :lol:

3930K's are good up to 1.6v with good cooling. Keep the loaded temps under 75

Edited by Drdeath

Just remember, even though the CPU may be able to handle high voltages, your motherboard VRM's might not.

They have held good on Asus ans ASRock boards I have used.