Looking for a new MMO [PC]

Miek

I started losing interest in WoW towards the end of Cataclysm. I regret not starting way sooner. I came into the WoW scene halfway through the WOTLK era. My friends wanted me to play it with them during the really early years, but I didn't and played RuneScape for the longest time instead. I kinda regret that. RuneScape was fun and all, but looking back, it really wasn't too great of a game in comparison.

I have played WoW on and off again since the game was released back in 05. The game defiantly has its low points. MoP is actually pretty good if you give it a chance, its nice change of pace from the previous expansions where you had one final bad guy to defeat. They have done a lot of work to make sure that there is always something to do, and that you aren't forced to play it 40 hours a week just to have decent gear and what not... 

The accessibility into the game right now is pretty amazing. This expansion dose require you to play, but the whole time sink thing has almost been eliminated from the game... It dosen't feel as grindy I guess...

Sometimes a break is in order, to be honest all the MMOs out there really cant compare to how good WoW is. The Old Republic is the only one I feel that is on the same scale, and as it turns out that games end game sucks... Granted give a game that has much development time as wow, I am sure it would be just as good. 

The real problem with a lot of MMOs I see is that they A) Try to hard to be something new and innovative and fail, or B) Try to be to much like WoW... 

Old Republic had some pretty awesome things in it and didn't try to be too innovative, a great game just no end game... 

I tried WoW for 2-3 months and while there was some really cool things about the game I thought it failed on a couple things I personally was looking for in an MMO so I got bored of it.

But I can easily see how it is popular and why the mainstream likes it so much.  Part of me wants to try Elder Scrolls Online but having spent so much time in MMOs and being a raider for a long period of time I am burnt out on MMOs.

Two MMOs I am waiting for are ESO (of course) and WildStar.

I love the social aspect of the player made Guild Fortresses and Player housing in WildStar, and ESO is...well, ESO :).

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I am desperately looking for a new MMO to invest some time into. My first two MMO's were The Matrix Online and WoW. I loved the tight knit community feel MXO and Vanilla WoW had. The character transfers and name changes killed that in WoW. I played WoW up until mid-Cataclysm when I lost interest in the game. I started looking for a WoW replacement at the latter part of WotLK, because I had my doubts about the next expansion. Since that time have I tried Warhammer Online, EVE Online, Aion, Rift, The Old Republic, TERA, The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, and WoW:MoP. Sadly to say I am still MMO-less. 

While I am partial to the fantasy genre, I am a big space nut too. Which is why I gave EVE a shot. It's still a good game, but it's just too disconnected from the social/community feel. Aion and Rift were just overly simplified versions of WoW. I don't like the look and feel of TERA, reminds me too much of a Final Fantasy game. As a big Warhammer fan, I was excited for that MMO. It had promise, but it just fell flat. Wielding a lightsaber in The Old Republic was great fun, but the interface was way too clumsy and the PvE content was lame. I played Guild Wars 2 in Beta and hated it, a friend talked me into buying it two months back because "it's a whole different game since beta." Sadly, it's the same lackluster game I remembered it being. I'm sorry but WoW:MoP is just unplayable if you started during Vanilla. Blizzard catered to the casual players way too much with MoP. The only reason the subscription count is still high is because of the WoW name, not because MoP is fun to play. It isn't. I think the most fun I had in an MMO lately was The Secret World, while I dislike the story lines, they were actually very well presented. I found myself actually wanting to complete the quest lines to see where the stories went. The combat was actually enjoyable. 

IMO, there are no MMO's out right now worth really investing any time into. I am excited for a few upcoming titles though. Elder Scrolls Online probably has the best chance of winning me over. Neverwinter looks decent. I'm pretty excited to see where Star Citizen goes in the next year or two.

A game I would really love to try out would be a Walking Dead type survival MMO. But only if the environment was open enough where you could literally use everything for fortifying your shelter or arming yourself and your teammates. Not sure if such a gaming environment is realistically possible at this point. 

A game I would really love to try out would be a Walking Dead type survival MMO. But only if the environment was open enough where you could literally use everything for fortifying your shelter or arming yourself and your teammates. Not sure if such a gaming environment is realistically possible at this point. 

Survarium.

Think S.T.A.L.K.E.R. MMO (F2P), but with multiple game modes.

You're welcome ;)

Alpha test sign-up has literally just begun.

Long list of MMOs and their pros and cons

+1 Your gaming history matches mine pretty much identically! WoW was awesome up til WotLK imo and has fallen off since then. My biggest hope was with Warhammer: online, since the lore is just amazing. The game started out well with nice open world pvp and such, but fell short in the raiding department, crafting sucked and too many bugs. SWTOR had the best lvling experience imo, but raiding sucked big time. We had bosses resetting during fights all the time. That's just not okay. As of right now, I'm MMO searching as well with no success, so I can't help you.

Good luck though!

• 2 weeks later...