Help me find the correct driver(s)

Hi

I just bought a ASUS X552CL laptop and I will be removing Windows 8 (I know the procedure) to get dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

For my previous laptop (ASUS F550CC) there was Windows 7 drivers at the support section, but there is not for this laptop.

So, I need to figure them out manually.

There are only two drivers that trouble me;

Intel INF Driver Update;

There are two versions (at the Intel Download Center).

One says: "Primarily for Intel

Edited by Brutality

Here is info on the chipset in that laptop;

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/mobile-chipset-hm76.html

And you can download the chipset driver here;

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/driverdetails?driverid=XVGTM

Or alternatively directly from the Intel Downloads and Support website.  Your choice, but finding the correct chipset driver on the Dell site is easier  :)

Here is info on the chipset in that laptop;

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/mobile-chipset-hm76.html

And you can download the chipset driver here;

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/driverdetails?driverid=XVGTM

Or alternatively directly from the Intel Downloads and Support website.  Your choice, but finding the correct chipset driver on the Dell site is easier   :)

Thanks wevs :D

Hi again.

I'm having trouble getting LAN and Wireless to work on my Windows 7 installation.

Wireless works fine in Ubuntu (well sometimes I need suspend it and when I turn it on again it's working (otherwise it says Wi-Fi disabled by hardware switch)), but LAN does not. I had the exact same issues with my F550CC, but everything worked like a charm in Windows 7.

When installing LAN driver in Windows 7 I get the following error message:

NlRHM04.png

I've been googling for a bit and tried various "solutions", including removing battery for 10 minutes (with no power cable) and trying again.

The "solution" where you need to disable Deep Sleep Mode involves going into properties of my network adapter is not even possible for me since there are none. All there is for me is my bluetooth adapter:

awCp3pN.png

Also, there is no light (well I am actually not sure if there are any diodes on my ethernet port) when plugging in the cable.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I should at least be able to get Wireless to work since it works in Ubuntu as well. When installing Ralink Wireless driver no errors occur but no adapter comes up (see above screenshot).

I've also tried enabling and disabling the LAN and Wireless "hardware switches" in BIOS to no avail.

Lastly, I've tried right clicking the Network and Ethernet Controllers in Device Manager and click "Update Driver" but the wizard finds nothing - or well it does not have anything to install :P

Something tells me that the network adapters/controllers never "wake up" in Windows, since I need to suspend and open again in Ubuntu to get Wireless to work again (i.e. to get rid of the "Wi-Fi is disabled by hardware switch" message).

Cheers

Edited by Brutality

Wow, what a pain in the rear.

What network adapter driver are you using?

I'm thinking part of the problem is the missing PCI driver.  It's possible that your NIC is a PCI device, and since the PCI driver is missing, nothing that relies on the PCI lane for communication will work (or even be seen in Windows).

My first goal would be to resolve the missing PCI driver and go from there.

Now all this is just conjecture on my part..........................  So now guarantees..........................  Unfortunately (and I'm sorry about that).

If all else fails, try to find the exact model number of the wireless and wired network devices and download the hardware drivers directly from the hardware vendor.

Hey Brut, I've been thinking about this some more.  There is a fair chance that some of the W8 drivers are also compatible with W7.  If it were me I'd download all of the W8 drivers directly from Asus.  Put them on a thumb drive.  Unzip all the packages and then set the thumb drive aside for now.

Reformat and install fresh copy of W7.

Once that's done plug in thumb drive, open device manager, update drivers for all hardware with yellow exclamation mark..  During the driver installation point the hardware wizard to the files on the thumb drive.  See how many W7 will install using that method.

That may leave you with only a couple devices missing drivers - and you should be able to snag the correct drivers directly from the hardware vendor.

Wow, what a pain in the rear.

What network adapter driver are you using?

I'm thinking part of the problem is the missing PCI driver.  It's possible that your NIC is a PCI device, and since the PCI driver is missing, nothing that relies on the PCI lane for communication will work (or even be seen in Windows).

My first goal would be to resolve the missing PCI driver and go from there.

Now all this is just conjecture on my part..........................  So now guarantees..........................  Unfortunately (and I'm sorry about that).

If all else fails, try to find the exact model number of the wireless and wired network devices and download the hardware drivers directly from the hardware vendor.

Thanks for the reply :)

How do I resolve the PCI driver? I tried right clicking it in the Device Manager and select Update Driver Software but as usual it just says Windows could not find driver software for your device.

But I think you are right, I tried disabling ethernet in Bios (just tried to focus on getting at least wireless to work) and the PCI Device disappeared from Other Devices in Device Manager.

Finally, how do I find the exact model number of the wireless and wired network devices?

Thanks a bunch :)

Hey Brut, I've been thinking about this some more.  There is a fair chance that some of the W8 drivers are also compatible with W7.  If it were me I'd download all of the W8 drivers directly from Asus.  Put them on a thumb drive.  Unzip all the packages and then set the thumb drive aside for now.

Reformat and install fresh copy of W7.

Once that's done plug in thumb drive, open device manager, update drivers for all hardware with yellow exclamation mark..  During the driver installation point the hardware wizard to the files on the thumb drive.  See how many W7 will install using that method.

That may leave you with only a couple devices missing drivers - and you should be able to snag the correct drivers directly from the hardware vendor.

Hmm I haven't got time to reformat and set everything up again (dual boot with Ubuntu, repair boot loader after installing Ubuntu, etc.) since my last semester on my Master's Degree just begin and I am extra busy since I am taking 4 courses the first quarter (instead of the regular 3) to be able to take only 2 the last quarter.

But I'll the W8 LAN, Wireless and Bluetooth drivers now.

EDIT: I should try the W8.1 drivers right? That's more Windows 7 like if you ask me :P

Edited by Brutality

Update: LAN apparently worked fine in Ubuntu, so the hardware is definitely there and working. That's good; both the ethernet and wireless controllers work (at least in Ubuntu).

Installing the W8.1 ethernet driver via the setup file gives the same error (and a few more I suspect are related to the fact that I'm not installing it in Windows 8.1).

Installing the W8.1 ethernet driver via Device Manager (i.e. pointing the wizard to the folder) results in the following error after installation:

sXibCuK.png

The wizard doesn't find anything that it wants to install for the PCI Device or Network Controller.

I tried booting up on the card to find out the exact model etc. so I could find the driver manually for Windows 7;

RvFcjzc.jpg

But that only shows me that it's indeed PCIe. From the shop site it shows that it's Gigabit ethernet, so have narrowed it down to the following;

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4

Should I contact ASUS to have them tell me the exact model number (I assume they can tell me from the model, and if not then at least the serial/series numbers etc. below the laptop etc.) or is there an easy way to find out?

EDIT: I found nothing in the manual about the ethernet or wireless cards.

Edited by Brutality

At this point I'd try to get through to tech support at Asus and see if they can share the hardware part numbers.

On many laptops the wireless card is easily accessible from the bottom of the laptop.  You'll have to find the right cover (likely held in place by a single phillips head screw).  Notice I said "many" and not "all"   :)

If you can access the wireless card you can get part number directly off the card.

As for the PCI Driver - trying installing the Modem Driver and see if the warning goes away.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark, but here is the driver that "may" work with your wired NIC;

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Download and attempt to install driver version 7.078

And I'd use the one that includes the auto installation package;

Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SID:1632224)