Bluray Frustrations

IVIYTH0S

So I finally decided it was time to get a Bluray drive for my laptop ($87 for the best spec'd drive I could find...LG BT30N) and I pop it in and of course it can't work because to play freakin' Blurays you need paid software from somebody, anybody. (I knew this, I just don't understand the logic...but anyway)

So I went and got WinDVD Pro 11 and after it's endless install, it just kept spinning the disc up and down...so I restarted the computer and then when I tried it again it spun the disc up and down three cycles before telling me I didn't have have a compatible display driver. (you gotta be effin serious, thank god I didn't sink money into the program) So I first tried switching from my Intel graphics to my AMD graphics....no luck. Then I was off to the internet to see what was the matter and read it could be that either my panel or my GPU(s) weren't HDCP.

Of course by this point I'm about to put my head through the wall at how much work I've already put into trying to watch a legitimate bluray movie.

During my reading I found someone saying that "AnyDVD HD" can remove the HDCP crap and allow any capable player to handle the disc...which didn't work either.

I then just went to find another bluray disc player, some no name program called AnyMP4 Bluray player...and it played the disc fine.... I found an older version that was free so I'll be living off this until the next screwray adventure begins.

Thank you for reading my rant!!

Anybody else hate the unnecessary overhead BS associated with Bluray or perhaps have their own computer Bluray stories/rants to tell?

• Like 1

I bought a Blue ray for my PC 2 yrs ago,ran into similar issues. Stupid me installed the "free" software and player. What a mistake that was.

I finally resorted to formatting my HDD and grabbing some free full fledged player off the net.(DAPlayer), no issues.

And they wonder why people pirate stuff.

If you go the "legit" route, all you usually get is a headache and wasted time not to mention a crap-load of stuff you do not need, pirate it and voila presto no problem.

Caveat: I am not promoting piracy, just stating the obvious.

Glad you also solved your issues IVIYTHOS.

I was an early adopter and never had problems. Internal LG bluray/hddvd combo drive and Cyberlink PowerDVD has worked fine since launch for me. Of course, this was a desktop part but not sure if that makes a difference. 

I was an early adopter and never had problems. Internal LG bluray/hddvd combo drive and Cyberlink PowerDVD has worked fine since launch for me. Of course, this was a desktop part but not sure if that makes a difference. 

Just a question, how often do you use it? I had a Bluray drive in this laptop for 2 years but I haven't used the Bluray laser one.

Maybe that's why it's still rare in PCs after what, 5/6 years? xD

Yeah I guess so, just never know when i may need to have that functionality when I'm away from home... I'm running a full fledged laptop, not a limited netbook/tablet so I aim to increase it's functionality/connectivity whenever possible.

I bought a Blue ray for my PC 2 yrs ago,ran into similar issues. Stupid me installed the "free" software and player. What a mistake that was.

I finally resorted to formatting my HDD and grabbing some free full fledged player off the net.(DAPlayer), no issues.

And they wonder why people pirate stuff.

If you go the "legit" route, all you usually get is a headache and wasted time not to mention a crap-load of stuff you do not need, pirate it and voila presto no problem.

Caveat: I am not promoting piracy, just stating the obvious.

Glad you also solved your issues IVIYTHOS.

Yeah really, you know exactly where I'm coming from

It may have been just the WinDVD program but the fact that I can't just pop a Bluray disc and watch said movie in whatever competent player I want is just stupid.

I'm guessing your LG drive came with that software?? In which case they were probably paired for absolute compatibility

the only way i can play bluray on the computer is with anydvd or DVDFab and VLC player. with vlc player you don't get the menus but the movie plays.

Maybe I'll try updating VLC, it didn't work for my bluray but maybe that's because it was a newer bluray (Dark Knight Rises) and needed to update it's bluray keys or whatever.

Can you still switch audio/subtitle tracks with VLC and do you mean the menus don't load first or you can't access them at all??

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I was able to watch the advengers which is newer. I also don't think its a key issue because AnyDVD and DVDfab is suppose to bypass it.  In VLC just go to  media > open disc > check bluray and pick your drive for it to work (might be the newest version as this). after you can change your audio track but VLC can't read Master audio so it pulls either the AC3  or DTS core from the Master codecs, thats the only downside ive found besides no menus. As for the menus you can just right click on the video and select your audio track and or video track.

you need the beta version of VLC, and you need to get the key library (which doesnt always work for "new" discs, cuz they need to periodically update it), in that case you need something like anyDVDHD

I tried VLC with my bluray player (see sig) and no luck. I had Cyberlink or whatever it's called that came withthe drive about 3 years ago, but last year it wouldn't update so stopped playing Blurays :(

You guys have mentioned a piece of software that WILL play blurays... anyDVD...is that freeware or must it be "obtained" because this PC bluray playing sh*t is for the birds :wallbash: and any other way to express frustration

anyDVD isn't freeware, it's like $50 or something. Basically either your blurays play fine or you have to find a way to bypass it, anyDVD does just that, removes the protection in real time so you can use any player that supports the file system (aka VLC player). by default i think cyberlink might be the only thing that can play blurays that is nearly free (given with every drive I ever had). But once again if it won't play because of HCDP issues you have ot use somehting like AnyDVD.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

• Same features as regular AnyDVD
  • Removes restrictions from Blu-ray media.
  • Makes Blu-ray media playable with every player software.
  • Removes region codes from Blu-ray media.
  • Watch movies over digital display connection, without HDCP-compliant graphics card and without HDCP-compliant display.
  • Removes annoyances.
  • Can disable BD-Live to protect your privacy.
  • Allows playback of discs requiring a 3D monitor on 2D displays.
  • The "must have" utility for the serious home theater enthusiast using a media center / home theater PC.
  • Provides its own Universal Disk Format (UDF) reader, no need to install 3rd party filesystem. Discs which cannot be read by Windows can be backed up when using AnyDVD HD.
Edited by hornybluecow