NZXT Bunker USB Lock System Tested (and Defeated!)

Nemo

@Andrew

The opening is only just large enough for the cords to fit under, and in fact, the cable on my Déck is rather on the large side for it. It's not, however, large enough to pass the actual USB connector through.

Aha, so my plans are foiled.

It looked like it could fit.

:(

This is a silly product.

If the thief is too stupid to pry the weak locking mechanism open he will simply take the whole computer. I think a locked cabinet would be much more effective.

Offspring put it this way one time in a song called walla.

"that car looks so tempting, so easy to drive. Just like that apartment that you buglerized. you started to run but didn't get far. Because under your arm was a VCR". After I knock a guy out im going to lol at em for trying to steal a whole computer system.

I'm a bit confused by the test though..so you removed the lock with the Bunker outside the case and not installed? That doesn't seem like a fault of the locking mechanism or a weakness of the design because that isn't a real world scenario. Were you able to remove the lock with the Bunker installed and locked? Maybe I'm not clear on the 'test'?

To quote from the very first paragraph of testing,

''Testing the NZXT Bunker is very simple because its function is simple. NZXT claims this will prevent theft of any peripherals plugged into the Bunker while the door is locked, and so I must test it to be sure that this is indeed the case. Indeed, the cut-out on the bottom of the door is large enough to let the cable through, but nothing else. Tugging on the cable succeeds only in pulling the daughterboard forward and bending the door against the lock. There's no chance of a thief getting away with anything plugged in just by tugging at it. For its basic purpose, the Bunker works just fine.''

If that's all I had done the review would have been absurdly short. The lock has to be tested, because that's the heart of the Bunker. I removed the nut with the Bunker out of the case, however, I will clarify further by saying that it is more than possible to remove the nut and latch while it is installed with a ratchet with an extension and/or a pair of long nose pliers. All that has to happen for that to occur is for one side panel to be removed. As was mentioned briefly, USB drives under a certain length can reside within the Bunker when locked. This assumes that the data on the drive is important and is worth protecting. If someone knows about this data, and finds the drive enclosed within the Bunker, then it's very easy to obtain it without the key. 'Because it isn't a real world scenario..' is complete rubbish when NZXT feels that it's worth mentioning this capability.

could be good for ppl who might just wana walk by to take something . i am sure thats what this is aimed at but stoping a theif who has 15 min to work on it. i mean with 15 min why not just take the whole thing.

When in a secured chassis the Bunker can perform its function as advertised it looks like but when tested with access through the inside of the chassis then the ability of the lock to be accessed is an issue. In that regard I guess a fix is in order. The other thought is that how many people looking to steal attached peripherals are going to spend the time to get into the chassis, have the requisite long extension and socket handy. Methinks not many.

The key question to address is that the computer case is not a bank vault, but a chassis made from thin plastic, steel and or aluminum and with the right tools anything is possible when it comes time to access the internals or plug in peripherals. The bottom line is that locks are made to keep the innocent out not the person who is determined to steal what is either inside or attached. Its a great idea that this kind of product is available but its just as disgusting that we have a society that where theft is so prevalent. In the business I work in I see theft and vandalism all the time, I for one would love to catch someone in the "Act" and see the problem addressed in the courts with more than the traditional slap on the wrist since it just means that the person will do it again.

If someone wants to steal something badly enough there isn't really anything you can do to stop them, they want it that bad they will figure out a way. you just have to hope they get caught.

When in a secured chassis the Bunker can perform its function as advertised it looks like but when tested with access through the inside of the chassis then the ability of the lock to be accessed is an issue. In that regard I guess a fix is in order. The other thought is that how many people looking to steal attached peripherals are going to spend the time to get into the chassis, have the requisite long extension and socket handy. Methinks not many.

The key question to address is that the computer case is not a bank vault, but a chassis made from thin plastic, steel and or aluminum and with the right tools anything is possible when it comes time to access the internals or plug in peripherals. The bottom line is that locks are made to keep the innocent out not the person who is determined to steal what is either inside or attached. Its a great idea that this kind of product is available but its just as disgusting that we have a society that where theft is so prevalent. In the business I work in I see theft and vandalism all the time, I for one would love to catch someone in the "Act" and see the problem addressed in the courts with more than the traditional slap on the wrist since it just means that the person will do it again.

Curious to know.....Which business do you work in ccokeman?

To quote from the very first paragraph of testing,

''Testing the NZXT Bunker is very simple because its function is simple. NZXT claims this will prevent theft of any peripherals plugged into the Bunker while the door is locked, and so I must test it to be sure that this is indeed the case. Indeed, the cut-out on the bottom of the door is large enough to let the cable through, but nothing else. Tugging on the cable succeeds only in pulling the daughterboard forward and bending the door against the lock. There's no chance of a thief getting away with anything plugged in just by tugging at it. For its basic purpose, the Bunker works just fine.''

If that's all I had done the review would have been absurdly short. The lock has to be tested, because that's the heart of the Bunker. I removed the nut with the Bunker out of the case, however, I will clarify further by saying that it is more than possible to remove the nut and latch while it is installed with a ratchet with an extension and/or a pair of long nose pliers. All that has to happen for that to occur is for one side panel to be removed. As was mentioned briefly, USB drives under a certain length can reside within the Bunker when locked. This assumes that the data on the drive is important and is worth protecting. If someone knows about this data, and finds the drive enclosed within the Bunker, then it's very easy to obtain it without the key. 'Because it isn't a real world scenario..' is complete rubbish when NZXT feels that it's worth mentioning this capability.

All I'm saying is that if someone were to use the Bunker (they want to protect a device from walking away) chances are they have the side panels locked as well and so it wouldn't be 'very easy' in a typical scenario. Just saying I think its a little misleading to put the blanket statement 'absurdly easy to unlock without the key'.

I'm tired and so I'll address some specifics/expand this tomorrow, but I will say this now..

My review of the Bunker is my impression of it. It contains my thoughts. My thoughts don't see the Bunker as particularly useful. My thoughts see the lock as a very weak point of the Bunker, and, as the lock is what makes the Bunker, I don't view it very highly.

My review, and any review for that matter, is not holy scripture. It is one person's take on an item. Some items, such as graphics cards and processors, are, overall, able to be reviewed objectively and produce irrefutable results that clearly place them amongst others of their kind. Other things, like the Bunker, that don't produce hard results end up being more subjective.

Bearing that in mind, if you don't agree with my take on the Bunker, and you don't consider to be a huge flaw something that I do, and you feel it's worth it, then go for it. It's up to you. Reviews are just informational pamphlets.

Off to Dreamland before I post something absurd...:teehee: