PIVOS XIOS DS Media Play Reviewed

Bosco

Awesome. I was just looking for a new dedicated XBMC device/media player the other day and came across this but reviews were mixed.

Wassim, did you try XBMC with the Aeon skin? if so was navigating through the menus still smooth? how responsive was the remote?

I will install the skin tomorrow and let you know. The remote works well with xbmc but you have to get used to it. If you want it only for xbmc you may consider the linux xbmc firmware, but you lose the Android os in the process.  Great unit but requiers lots of forum reading lol

I'm guessing all these budget media players are doing without the old optical. They really want to force my hand and upgrade my audio gear haha.

Time to stream or get out, apparently. :lol: Or just load stuff up onto a USB drive and/or SDHC card.

Wassim, did you try XBMC with the Aeon skin? if so was navigating through the menus still smooth? how responsive was the remote?

Hi freddie! I installed Aeon NOX and it works but it's a bit sluggish... that skin is pretty heavy and all the addons in it will munch on the system resources like candy lol. Very beautiful skin but I would not use it as an everyday driver in this unit IMO. If I end up installing pure XBMC firmware I will keep you informed on how it performs then :)

I'm guessing all these budget media players are doing without the old optical. They really want to force my hand and upgrade my audio gear haha.

Time to stream or get out, apparently. :lol: Or just load stuff up onto a USB drive and/or SDHC card.

^ True... As far I can see, the easiest option is an external USB drive that will carry media between the main system and one of these media player.

Hi freddie! I installed Aeon NOX and it works but it's a bit sluggish... that skin is pretty heavy and all the addons in it will munch on the system resources like candy lol. Very beautiful skin but I would not use it as an everyday driver in this unit IMO. If I end up installing pure XBMC firmware I will keep you informed on how it performs then :)

Cheers. Unfortunately thats my fav' skin too lol.  Its becoming more and more evident that I need a full blown HTPC for a media player.

So Dave what's your verdict? How does it compare to the AIOS? In my case it's pretty much replacing the HTPC in the living room as an XBMC platform. BTW, I cancelled Netflix and got a Crunchyroll subscription instead LOL.

So Dave what's your verdict? How does it compare to the AIOS? In my case it's pretty much replacing the HTPC in the living room as an XBMC platform. BTW, I cancelled Netflix and got a Crunchyroll subscription instead LOL.

I haven't tried it yet. Thinking about tinkering with the Asus O Play first.