AMD is insane

I would call BS on that, I'm not sure an AM3+ board would be able to supply 220W of power to the CPU.

My ASRock board pushed over 400 watts through mine. :lol:

The one that then caught fire? :P

Nope. Handled it fine with reasonable temps.

Bulldozer chips (and I assume Zambezi) are power hungry at 5 GHz and up.

I checked Extreme Power Supply Calculator this morning and AMD chips only went up to FX8350, I was wondering about power consumption also,.. :lol:

Is the 8350 @ 20% overclock below 190W TDP, and around 1.48V with max memory ddr-3 1866 MHz  :wacko:

Edited by Braegnok

Power consumption skyrockets with the original Bulldozer chips when you raise the volts to around 1.5v and push them near 5 GHz. Zambezi might be better, I haven't really paid attention though.

Most overclocking-oriented boards should be able to handle a 220W TDP without any troubles at all IMO.

Most overclocking-oriented boards should be able to handle a 220W TDP without any troubles at all IMO.

But presence 220Watt TDP in specification sounds like we are going back in time.

Intel is building power efficient CPUs and on the other hand AMD is making more & more power consuming CPUs.

I would classify it as a really wired marketing tactic.

From what I have heard, I would assume the 5GHz chips will be purely for the enthusiast market, firstly because of the headline 5GHz clock speed and secondly because AMD have used a different numbering system for the chips (not FX-8420/8450 as you would expect). Also, there are no rumours of any FX-6XXX or 4XXX chips of this type. Essentially these chips could just be higher clocked and tweaked FX chips, like Intel's 'E' series.

I remember having a intel D820 with the stock cooler, hitting 80 degrees C and throttling because I did not know the existence of aftermarket coolers.

It eventually died (of maybe the mobo did, did not really investigate). It was a pain because whether you have a noisy computer fan or a dead motherboard.

I am OK with my i7 980 that asks for much airflow, but anything over it would be ridiculous in my mind.

Toms did a build with a NH-D14 and the motherboard cracked under the weight of that monster (SBM Q1 2013). I know it is not that frequent because of all the tests with supercoolers (Zalman CNPS12X, Thermalright Macho...) but it still is a possibiliy. Back to ghetto rigging era I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I would call BS on that, I'm not sure an AM3+ board would be able to supply 220W of power to the CPU.

My ASRock board pushed over 400 watts through mine. :lol:

Those ASRock mobos aren't bad are they.  I remember a time when my ASRock Extreme3+ 870 mobo was hot stuff for having the 3.0 usb technology with a moderate price compared to MSI and Gigabyte.

On a side is LIQUID NITROGEN cooling supposed to be the next step in cooling these new ELITE CPUs hitting the market in the next few years?

Edited by GreatWhiteBoy