ASUS GeForce GT240 Videocard Tested

Nemo

price wise, does this seem like a good buy versus a 9800GT? I think they both float just under the 100$ mark

no the 9800GT is a better buy, you can usually snag one for ~$70-80 on ebay. The GT210 should have never been made, and the GT240 should be as cheap as the GT220 is now (and the 220 where the 210 is), the GT240's a good card but it should be cheaper

no the 9800GT is a better buy, you can usually snag one for ~$70-80 on ebay. The GT210 should have never been made, and the GT240 should be as cheap as the GT220 is now (and the 220 where the 210 is), the GT240's a good card but it should be cheaper

the gt220 should have never been made???????

where do ppl come off with stuff like this? No offense to you ivy as i know you just spreading the common word but i must say that ppl are far from reality in their assumptions that lead to comments like these. The gt210 will never be a favorite nor will it be a popular replacement card for the average joe upgrading their pc. I am right there with you on the fact that it is a weak pos card that i want nothing to do with. But for an OEM the gt210 is preferable to some of these crappy igps alternatives. On top of that it frees up the system ram that igp uses. Not everyone needs a great graphics card. Out of all the pc's in homes today very few have a use for big gpus. For 40$ or less and 25 watts or less it is a low power card with the ability to do light gaming but its just not for everyone. But apparently nvidia seen a market and they are still making money. I dont agree with some of their choices and i am first to admit that they are making millions so they got to be doing something correct.

This card has a place and it is far from any of my PCs at home. But its ridicules to say it shouldve never been made. actually i think its just almost a complete re-brand anyway of the 9400 which it replaces. If their wasnt a market of the 9400 they wouldnt have need to replace it would they? I dont know who that markets customers were but they exist.

What you don't get is this is not an enthusiasts card. This card (along with the 210 and 220) is for people who want a very low heat card for a home entertainment pc or an OEM replacement without having to get a better power supply. These things absolutely sip power and are basically perfect for a prebuilt computer.

Ok lets say someone is buying a 9600GT for there pre-built system. While the 9600GT may be the same price and trounce the performance, the stock power supply will never be able to get close to the demands for the 9600GT where as the stock PSU will probably be able to handle the 240GT. Unless the 9600GT is a low clocked expensive low power model.

I will do a quick price for you.

9600GT around $60 and the GT240 around $80 and perform about the same.

Lets say a 550watt power supply for $50 if you have the 9600GT. (550 watt is slightly overkill I know)

By this reasoning the GT240 is $30 dollars cheaper.

Not everyone needs a great graphics card.

maybe not...but

Every PC needs good graphics
:lol:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_210_us.html

What you don't get is this is not an enthusiasts card. This card (along with the 210 and 220) is for people who want a very low heat card for a home entertainment pc or an OEM replacement without having to get a better power supply. These things absolutely sip power and are basically perfect for a prebuilt computer.

Ok lets say someone is buying a 9600GT for there pre-built system. While the 9600GT may be the same price and trounce the performance, the stock power supply will never be able to get close to the demands for the 9600GT where as the stock PSU will probably be able to handle the 240GT. Unless the 9600GT is a low clocked expensive low power model.

I will do a quick price for you.

9600GT around $60 and the GT240 around $80 and perform about the same.

Lets say a 550watt power supply for $50 if you have the 9600GT. (550 watt is slightly overkill I know)

By this reasoning the GT240 is $30 dollars cheaper.

:blink: I never really insulted the GT240, like I said it's the only new mainstream 200series I like. It just doesn't perform to it's price tag, same with the gt220. (which I see in newer reviews, drivers have made it a nice lower power/temp card) I have less gripes with that.

As has been said not everyone is a gamer or enthuusiast that has to have bleeding edge or close to it graphics. These cards are meant for casual gaming(WOW, SIMS Flash ) where a high end gpu is not needed. Not to mention the benefits that can be had with all of the programs using GPU acceleration to make that weak suck low end CPU powered system speed up and alow a better PC experience. If you make tasks faster then you have improved the the end users experience as well as allowed them more time not spent in front of the PC.

As has been said not everyone is a gamer or enthuusiast that has to have bleeding edge or close to it graphics. These cards are meant for casual gaming(WOW, SIMS Flash ) where a high end gpu is not needed. Not to mention the benefits that can be had with all of the programs using GPU acceleration to make that weak suck low end CPU powered system speed up and alow a better PC experience. If you make tasks faster then you have improved the the end users experience as well as allowed them more time not spent in front of the PC.

HP can come and take my G210 anytime lol.

I have come to acknowledge the GT220 now, but the 240 still needs to come down $10(low end priced model)-$30(high end priced model)

:blink: I never really insulted the GT240, like I said it's the only new mainstream 200series I like. It just doesn't perform to it's price tag, same with the gt220. (which I see in newer reviews, drivers have made it a nice lower power/temp card) I have less gripes with that.

Sorry, I didn't catch that. I was simple defending it I guess.

No hard feelings ok?