Overclocking my Intel i7 3820

Hey guys,

I am thinking about overclocking my processor but am worried that it will melt, I Use my ROG rampage IV gene and its nice preset bios tools and I wanted to overclock my 3.6Ghz to 4.985Ghz, is that possible without absolutely destroying my processor? I have an Intel i7 3820 LGA2011 socket with intel/astek liquid thermal solution with arctic silver 5 thermal paste, single fan closed circut cooler

With a locked multiplier on the 3820 you are going to have a hard time getting a very high overcock and definitely not nearly 5ghz. BTW how did you derive that number? nvm I forgot even with a locked multi you can just use the strap and increase the BLCK that way.

edit: you can try the auto overclock feature the rampage has and see what it gives you, though usually the auto voltage is higher than I like with auto overclocks.

edit: I doubled check but if you keep it below 1.4v for core and under 100c the sky is the limit. of course the closer the voltage and heat is to the max the lower the half life of the cpu is. Generally its a good idea not to hit the limits for 24/7 use or it wont stay overclocked for very long.