SAPPHIRE Dual-X Radeon HD 7970 OC vs SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970

Stealth3si

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 OC VS SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970

I learned there some differences noted below but I don't know what they mean for me as a consumer and if the $50 difference in price is worth the noticeable difference in performance.

1. The vapor-X is a GHZ edition card, it's basically clocked higher and it's a binned processor. The Dual-X is a boost card and it's not a binned processor. Is binned processor better because it was a better processor but has some of its features disabled?

2. The vapor-X has better PCB component design than the dual-x. Does the dual-x's lack of quality pcb design and flimsy board cause the card to warp or bend over time due to the gravitational weight hanging from a vertical case, thus causing BSODS and crashes?

3. Which one has unlocked voltage?

4. The vapor-x has better overclockablility, cooling and PCB design than the dual-x. Benchmarks would show there is a noticeable difference. Do you think an extra $50 is worth the noticeable overclocking difference in playing games tho?

Depends how long you want to keep the card as to whether it is worth it. I'll take the Vapor-X any day over the Dual-X. Better components, a thicker Custom PCB, better VRM, Vapor Chamber cooling are worth it to me. But then again its your money. Those things really do not impact gaming performance just long term reliability , stability and having the parts to allow the GPU core to reach its maximum potential. The GPU core is only going to give up what it is capable of giving.   

• 4 weeks later...
Well I just found out the Vapor-X doesn't fit in my case. :(

Now, I'm wondering if the Dual-X does fit in my case, which allows for 11.00" (279mm). :/

I learned the dual-x could either be 11.02" (280mm) or 11.25" (285mm) but is the measurement for the PCB or fan housing?

Does anyone know what the actual measurement is for the PCB and the fan housing?

Edited by Stealth3si

For around $300~ I am considering getting a 7950. They're certainly smaller and if I can find the right model to OC it to 7970 speeds I would.

I'll split this thread to a new thread on the 7950...

Edit: I was just doing some research prior to opening another thread and I think I might go with the MSI TF3 7950 instead. 

Edited by Stealth3si