Anyone with a Gigabyte Z68 board -

As some of you know my 2600K decided to commit suicide last week. I'm unsure of whether the issue originally started with the CPU or the motherboard...and now that I have my replacement CPU from Intel I'm a bit wary about sticking the brand new CPU in a board that may blow it up the first time I try to start it up. :lol:

I called Gigabyte tech support and the woman was very adamant that it's unlikely to cause any issues even if the board was bad...and followed that line up with, and I quote, "but if the VRM are bad your CPU will burn". :mfp: Thanks, that was helpful. :lol:

I'm fairly sure Intel doesn't want me to have to call them again and send another replacement CPU.

So anyway - here's my request (and I completely understand if nobody wants to bother :lol:): What does your Gigabyte Z68 board (preferably a UD3/UD4/UD5) do if you try to boot it up with no CPU and no RAM?

I am guessing that a properly working board would power on but do nothing. Mine, as it happens, turns on for a split second (EDIT: after trying it again it's close to 2 seconds), then turns itself off. It then repeats this cycle every 5-6 seconds. I'm not sure if it's supposed to do that or if it is actually dead. :doh: The Gigabyte tech wasn't very helpful in this aspect either - her answer was essentially "it depends". Of course, she couldn't tell me what it depends on. :lol:

I really don't want to blow up any good CPUs nor do I really want to deal with a 3-4 week RMA process for a board that might be good. :yucky:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panda's d3 isn't a good enough comparison for you?

I don't know if the difference between boards is that great...and to be honest I forgot what board she had. :lol:

I'll try it now. :doh:

I have a Gigabyte Z68(not sure which one) at my house which I will be at this weekend which I could test and see what happens. I am sure someone else would get to it before me though.

Well her Z68AP-D3 does something similar. It starts up for about 2-3 seconds, then shuts off for 4-5 seconds, then cycles again.

It stays on for longer than mine, but that's the only difference.

I'm going to call Intel and see if they'll give me a green light on putting the replacement CPU in the board. :cheers:

Yay! Intel gave me a go-ahead to test the replacement CPU in my unknown-condition board. Cross your fingers it wasn't a VRM issue that killed the first one... :lol:

Going to to a bare-boot with just the CPU, RAM, and a PSU.