Help with my cpu

Hi

i have in my laptop cpu pentium dual core t4500

i wanted to change it and i found in wikipedia my socket (Socket P) support many high cpus

this is image for what i saw

http://www.ot2.com/download/121469/Untitled.png.html

and this is the site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_P

is this true i can upgrade to core 2 duo and core 2 quad ???

Edited by SuperBedo

Under the "Penryn QC" area, referring to the core 2 quad, it states that there are reports that it is a socket P' [sic] and as such may not be compatible with standard socket P motherboards.  So you should be absolutely sure if you decide to try the quad core.

Your first upgrade choice would probably be to max out the ram.

What laptop, or motherboard, is in the laptop?  It may be easier to look up the motherboard details to find if it supports the quad core or not.

But unless you can find a cheap used cpu, then it wouldn't be worth the cost for this upgrade.  Your cpu is 2.3ghz which is about the fastest that will fit.  Adding 2 more cores might help in certain situations but it probably won't be a lot.

Is your computer just not as fast as before, or are you doing more on it?  Maybe it just needs cleaned up?  Depending on what you are doing on the computer, there are other upgrade routes I would consider before changing this cpu.  Like ram or an ssd.

guys i don't know

i'll give you my specs and you show if it fits or not with core 2 duo or core 2 quad

Laptop : Dell Inspiron N5030

CPU : Pentium Dual Core T4500 2.3 GHz

Ram : 4GB DDR3

Graphic Card : Intel Mobile 4 Series Express Chipset Family --- Size : 1695 MB

BIOS : Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A02

That's all ... is there another thing to give ?

i really want to upgrade to Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad

Edited by SuperBedo

A few years ago I was really into modding out my laptops -replacing CPU's, swapping GPU's, replacing motherboards so that I got the newer revision, etc...

What I can tell you from this experience is that what you wan to do is try to find an example of your laptop on the web equipped with the CPU you want to swap. Unless Dell specifically released a N5030 with a quad core, it won't work. There's a lot of other things to consider, like CPU TDP, chipset, and BIOS limitations that can get in the way of a clean swap. 

With the money you'd spend on a used QC on eBay, I'd say you're better off buying a used laptop with a first or second generation i-series CPU. Laptops equipped with those are no longer that expensive on the used market, and you'll get WAY better performance versus upgrading that N5030.

• 1 month later...