Steve Jobs Resigns as CEO of Apple

Guest_Jim_*

Thank god.

+1

I admit as a business man I respect he was brilliant.

But so many of his decisions crushed market competition, the creation of different patents. All the while everything geared towards creating a helpless user, that needs to return to apple with every problem. With little ability to modify and hack hardware and software, every new release making it more difficult.

This marks the end of the Apple era.

It depends on how much they let the new guy make major decisions. If it's a lot then he'll probably run Apple into the ground because all he'll care about is the quarterly earnings statement.

+1

I admit as a business man I respect he was brilliant.

But so many of his decisions crushed market competition, the creation of different patents. All the while everything geared towards creating a helpless user, that needs to return to apple with every problem. With little ability to modify and hack hardware and software, every new release making it more difficult.

In the consumer world this is good for most people, because most people are not good with tech. So this is also good for business. Its a win-win for most people.

In the consumer world this is good for most people, because most people are not good with tech. So this is also good for business. Its a win-win for most people.

Yes in then sense of stopping people breaking there new gear...

However patents on things like the multi touch phone, are not so good for the consumer and only good for apple's pockets. If another company tries to create something that resembles the iphone in any way apple will try and shut it down. That is not good for the consumer, I personally would like to see more alternatives for the general consumer who wants something with multi-touch functionality. I have multi-touch unlocked on my xperia x10 and plan to hack it for honeycomb soon, however it would be nice to go in store and just buy it that way.

Just an FYI, as Chairman of the board Steve Jobs will still have a say in the operations of the company...

:withstupid: Exactly. It isn't like Jobs won't have anything to do with Apple any longer, he'll still be pretty involved in the decisions the company makes. He'll be the Chairman of the Board, meaning he'll have direct say over what Apple does in the future. It's just he won't be CEO any longer, that's all.

At first I thought it was very interesting news. Then I saw he's going to be Chairman, which means effectively nothing will change. It just means he has no responsibilities as CEO now, Apple will likely still be using all of his ideas for a long time to come. Why give the new guy's direction a chance when Jobs is a proven winner?