i7 versus Xeon

Aye, the university that created our software is right now re-developing it all to offload some of the image handling to the video card which ought to really boost the performance of it all. In the meantime, we need all the processing power we can get.

That Macbook looks bloody sweet, any idea when the individual hardware components will be available for purchase? We cant use that Mac, even though the processing power looks fantastic.

We cant wait, but that looks sick also. As far as price/performance goes, the 6 core Xeons look a bit meh...

I dont know to be honest how software interacts with hardware. Is there any possibility of software incompatibilities if moving between our current Xeon 5345's and an i7? Software runs on Linux CentOS 5 (basically RedHat) and is coded all in C and Fortran... forgive my ignorance if thats an unanswerable question :D

i don't think there would be a problem but maybe you might have to code it to address more threads and memory. same concept just a lot faster. some problems in the past when dualcore and quads were new that programs were only coded to use 1 thread (or single core). now quads and such have been around long enough that most OS use as many threads as they can get.

Edited by hornybluecow

Its already coded to multithread, I'm just wondering about whether or not we could potentially ever see software errors because of some incompatibility somewhere.

Unless they didn't code it properly, no.