Need some assurances with high performance air-cooling setup

A good chance yes.

And holy wow 35mmH2O that's crazy. But as far as this force affecting anything, I wouldn't count on it. If the fan is attached to the heatsink it cannot apply a net force on it. Like trying to hoist your own body into the air lol :)

I take it you don't drink? :lol: What I mean is, at 7.2 pounds per square foot + the weight of the heatsink and fan, well exceeds the weight/force recommendation for the motherboard heatsink. They don't even recommend the copper version of the Ultra 120 extreme (1900g) unless its in a horizontal application. Or am I missing a math/physics step here?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A good chance yes.

And holy wow 35mmH2O that's crazy. But as far as this force affecting anything, I wouldn't count on it. If the fan is attached to the heatsink it cannot apply a net force on it. Like trying to hoist your own body into the air lol :)

that's what i'm worried about.

hmmm... i rather use that fan for chassis intake/exhaust then. pushing outside cool air inside aiming towards the CPU cooler perhaps. :rolleyes:

I take it you don't drink? :lol: What I mean is, at 7.2 pounds per square foot + the weight of the heatsink and fan, well exceeds the weight/force recommendation for the motherboard heatsink. They don't even recommend the copper version of the Ultra 120 extreme (1900g) unless its in a horizontal application. Or am I missing a math/physics step here?

Wait what?

The fan won't create that much thrust when against a heatsink. Where do you get 7.2 pounds per square foot? The fan isn't even 1/4 of a square foot.

Wait what?

The fan won't create that much thrust when against a heatsink. Where do you get 7.2 pounds per square foot? The fan isn't even 1/4 of a square foot.

35mm H2O = 7.18 pounds per square foot. How much is lost against a heatsink I'm not sure and would depend on surface type, fin density etc. but those high RPM Deltas are recommended for case ventilation/radiators and not for heatsinks. They create a lot of torque and Gyro effect (its a 7160 RPM Fan) on a tall heavy cantilevered sink that exceeds the recommended weight to begin with and the fan alone weighs 380g (13.40 oz) . But like I said " thats just me' He can obviously put a jet engine on there if he wants to. :)

**btw, 66dBA is optimistic, when you start it up the neighbors will probably head for the ole root cellar :lol:

35mm H2O = 7.18 pounds per square foot. How much is lost against a heatsink I'm not sure and would depend on surface type, fin density etc. but those high RPM Deltas are recommended for case ventilation and not for heatsinks. They create a lot of torque and Gyro effect (its a 7160 RPM Fan) on a tall heavy cantilevered sink that exceeds the recommended weight to begin with. But like I said " thats just me' He can obviously put a jet engine on there if he wants to. :)

I would definately NOT recommend that :lol:

All i have to say is good luck with the noise on that fan. I've had ultra kaze fans@ 45db and Vantec Tornado @ 55db both were loud, i can't imagine what a 66db fan sounds like.

35mm H2O = 7.18 pounds per square foot. How much is lost against a heatsink I'm not sure and would depend on surface type, fin density etc. but those high RPM Deltas are recommended for case ventilation/radiators and not for heatsinks. They create a lot of torque and Gyro effect (its a 7160 RPM Fan) on a tall heavy cantilevered sink that exceeds the recommended weight to begin with and the fan alone weighs 380g (13.40 oz) .

I get the following with some rough math:

1.37795 * .036127 psi * ((120 mm) * 120 mm) = 1.1111186 pounds force

1.37795 inches of water

.036127 psi per inch of water

22.32 square inches of total fan area (extremely optimistic)

That gives 1.37795 * .036127 = 0.0497 psi

At 22.32 square inches you're looking at about 1.1 pounds of force, maximum, assuming the thrust area is equal to the frame of the fan and the fan can produce 35mm H20 with the heatsink restriction in front of it.

Someone check my math there but I don't think he has anything to worry about other than startup torque especially if he has his heatsink oriented so that the fan exhausts upward. With a fan controller that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I have six 5000+ RPM Nidec Beta Vs I can strap on a few heatsinks if we want to get crazy and measure the actual thrust when running. :teehee: