Bluray Frustrations

IVIYTH0S

HA! Just read an article here: http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2013/02/08/it-s-time-to-bin-your-optical-drive/

Interesting read.

I've had a bluray drive for a while now and hardly ever use it. I have recently decided, due to cabinets and drawers ram packed with games, dvd's and blurays, to opt for downloads (Steam, Origin, Game, etc) instead of buying stuff in store. This will eventually negate the use of optical drives anyway, as the article above refers to.

HA! Just read an article here: http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2013/02/08/it-s-time-to-bin-your-optical-drive/

Interesting read.

I've had a bluray drive for a while now and hardly ever use it. I have recently decided, due to cabinets and drawers ram packed with games, dvd's and blurays, to opt for downloads (Steam, Origin, Game, etc) instead of buying stuff in store. This will eventually negate the use of optical drives anyway, as the article above refers to.

Makes me feel really good about buying the new bluray drive for my laptop

:pfp:

lol

I see the trend happening, but I just never want to need it and not have it when I'm away from home, if I wanted a netbook/tablet with reduced features I'd get one. I chose a laptop because I want something that can do anything I ask of it.

I put bluray players in my desktop, htpc and laptop back when they were still over $100 for a decent one.  And then added a bluray burner in my desktop too.  I don't regret it one bit.  I know they will eventually be obsolete, but in the mean time I'll enjoy the outstanding video and audio quality and the great storage capacity of bluray media  :)

I put bluray players in my desktop, htpc and laptop back when they were still over $100 for a decent one.  And then added a bluray burner in my desktop too.  I don't regret it one bit.  I know they will eventually be obsolete, but in the mean time I'll enjoy the outstanding video and audio quality and the great storage capacity of bluray media   :)

call me crazy but i still haven't gone blueray at all, but from waht i'm seeing on here, maybe that's not so bad,...what do you mean it will be obsolete jerry ? i guess that means there are some future changes in the works ?

well 4k won't work on any current bluray drive based on the standard (any standalone drive) because of the low bit-rate (48mbps). 4k starts at about 80, so your out of luck. second bluray discs are go up to 8 layers, once again not compatible with anything current.

Yeah I like being as resourceful as I can with things I take with me everywhere along with my desktop that can handle anything and manage a whole bunch.

Meaning I like laptops with tons of connectivity (mine has 4xUSB 3.0, HDMI, VGA, 12x card reader, bluray player that can read any format) and desktops with motherboard with stupid amounts of usb/sata ports because I WILL use most all of them the majority of the time and all of them on occasion.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

call me crazy but i still haven't gone bluray at all, but from what i'm seeing on here, maybe that's not so bad,...what do you mean it will be obsolete jerry ? i guess that means there are some future changes in the works ?

The way I see it there are always future changes in the works when it comes to the way we listen, view and consume media  :)

The other thing is that bluray has been around for a while now and the adoption level is still really low compared to other video formats.  I work in the consumer electronics industry and I still have tech pros that don't believe the video quality and expanded sound options on bluray warrant the additional cost of the players or the media.  I don't fall into that camp though.  As for me, with a good 1080P HD TV or 1920x1200 monitor I can definitely tell the difference in PQ between DVD and Bluray.