Upgrade my 6 year old computer

justlog

Hey there everyone so I haven't visited this forum for a while now and I got to the point I which my PC isn't able to handle some newly released games.

My current specs are:

CPU: E8400 3.0ghz

Mobo: don't have the actual model but doesn't matter since ill have to change it anyways.

GPU: GTX 460(the only hardware which I could actually allow myself to not upgrade ATM)

PSU: some lame 500W coolermaster PSU.

So here's the thing, I live in Israel so the prices difference is going to affect my build as you would probably build something better in the United States.

So in my country currency (NIS) my limit is 2000 NIS.

I wanted to give you guys a link to a store which I'm planning to buy from, http://en.ksp.co.il/?uin=16014

If anyone can please help me with this build ill greatly appreciate it.

My main usage is going to be gaming so in order to take the other hardware to the next level I think I will keep my GTX 460 in the meanwhile, other than that, every other hardware is mandatory(excluding mouse, keyboard, screen etc.)

Thank you in advance justlog ;)

Honestly, unless you're running heavy duty RTS's or something your CPU is fine for a gaming machine. I know this because my friend has the exact same setup, or rather had. (two months ago he upgraded to a 660 from his 460 but he also has an e8400 that's overclocked and games quite well)

What I recommend to you is to overclock that e8400 to 4.0ghz (or more if you'd like, as I'm sure you'll have a little headroom over that should you feel adventurous) and then get a card like a GTX760 or HD7950 (whichever is cheaper)...I guarantee you'll get all the performance you're looking for without having to upgrade anything else.

Heck if you sell your 460 and have the budget for it, I'd go for a GTX770.

Honestly, unless you're running heavy duty RTS's or something your CPU is fine for a gaming machine. I know this because my friend has the exact same setup, or rather had. (two months ago he upgraded to a 660 from his 460 but he also has an e8400 that's overclocked and games quite well)

What I recommend to you is to overclock that e8400 to 4.0ghz (or more if you'd like, as I'm sure you'll have a little headroom over that should you feel adventurous) and then get a card like a GTX760 or HD7950 (whichever is cheaper)...I guarantee you'll get all the performance you're looking for without having to upgrade anything else.

Heck if you sell your 460 and have the budget for it, I'd go for a GTX770.

Really?

I thought that the E8400 is not so viable anymore.

Well I have never overclocked anything in my life so I don't really know what to do.

In any manner, I will probably still upgrade my PSU, Mobo and RAM since all of them already failed on me not once.

Any suggestions on how to start overclocking?

e8400 that is NOT overclockes is very bad

get an intel i5 processor, you will need a new motherboard and 8GB DDR3 1600

SELL YOUR GTX 460 and buy a newer card, gtx 760 if you can afford it

So you've got $563 US dollars to spend.  That's going to be a tough cookie to crack.  I'd have to agree with a previous poster - unless your E8400 and current motherboard are just broken as crap it might make more sense to concentrate on a a more powerful video card, some additional RAM and a better power supply.

An E8400 will easily crack the 3.6 - 3.8Ghz overclock barrier with appropriate cooling.

If you're only running 4Gb of memory, up that to 8Gb.

If you're motherboard supports SLi you might be able to find a compatible used GTX 460 and put the cards in SLi.

So you've got $563 US dollars to spend.  That's going to be a tough cookie to crack.  I'd have to agree with a previous poster - unless your E8400 and current motherboard are just broken as crap it might make more sense to concentrate on a a more powerful video card, some additional RAM and a better power supply.

An E8400 will easily crack the 3.6 - 3.8Ghz overclock barrier with appropriate cooling.

If you're only running 4Gb of memory, up that to 8Gb.

If you're motherboard supports SLi you might be able to find a compatible used GTX 460 and put the cards in SLi.

Well, I will probably need to switch my mobo aswell since he doesn't support SLI and he's pretty crappy at OC'ing(forgot that I tried once to OC my E8400 but the PC just crashed when I got to 3.2GHZ with proper cooling, AC 7 Pro rev.2)

And the SLI part falls right into my lap, I have a friend with an unused GTX 460 and he'll probably be glad to sell it to me in a low price point.

Wanted to know aswell, how much W will I need from my power supply if I'll go to OC'ing my E8400 and putting 2x GTX 460 in my PC?

Socket 775 motherboards are going to be hard to come by unless you can snag up a good used one some where.  You could post up a [WTB] here at OCC Forums in the Marketplace thread.  Not sure where you're located though, but it's always a possibility that someone nearby has a good 775 motherboard they are willing to part with.

Otherwise you may end up having to upgrade motherboard and cpu to something more current.

Where are you located at?

Socket 775 motherboards are going to be hard to come by unless you can snag up a good used one some where.  You could post up a [WTB] here at OCC Forums in the Marketplace thread.  Not sure where you're located though, but it's always a possibility that someone nearby has a good 775 motherboard they are willing to part with.

Otherwise you may end up having to upgrade motherboard and cpu to something more current.

Where are you located at?

Israel, and I've pretty much ransacked the Israelin computer stores looking for a good 775 mobo.

Don't bother with an SLI board with socket 775, that mans nvidia chipset which means garbage. I speak from experience. Just sell your card and get a better single one.

I'll help to locate some helpful OC guides that are helpful to your specific chipsetg when I get home.