Backup problem in Win7 64bit

Cespenar

Hi, I'm having trouble in a backup.
My first HDD is C:/ and D:/
I tried to backup to D: (173GB free of 198GB)
System says: not enough space for 3.86GB backup.
Why is this? (Urgent please?)
Now I am currently in backup mode to a USB external drive.
This backup started 2hrs ago and quickly got to about 95%
2hrs and 20 mins it is still about 95%
Is this normal or is something wrong?

Urgent because I'm scared to stop it and try again in case I corrupt stuff.

I also asked this in Guru3D.com so hope I can get a quick answer.

What are you using to backup? How large is C:?

EDIT: Cancelling a backup will probably mess up the backup, but it won't hurt the original files.

Thanks Waco,

The C: drive is 47GB free of 99GB total. This is part of the physical drive that makes up C: and D:

I'll wait for your reply before I cancel the backup. I want a 1TB new HDD but $$$ is scarce.

Using what software? Backing up a partition to another partition on the same drive doesn't really help you much...

It sounds like the software you're using is calculating sizes wrong though.

I'm using the Win 7 control panel.  I've always used that in the past.

I wanted to try the latest video drivers for my EVGA 670. I thought it might help with Diablo 3.

So I wanted to do a backup in case things went belly up.

You could create a restore point rather than doing a backup...but something else sounds amiss too (for your C: to D: backup). If your USB drive is big enough I'd just let it keep going, the Windows Backup utility is pretty notoriously bad at estimating percentage complete.

there is no way a 50gb back up will come in at 3.86gb unless you are only backing up windows and not any data. And I would say the second backup is not working properly so you might as well cancel it, as Waco said it won't damage the original files. If I were you I'd dl a third party free backup software and use that.

there is no way a 50gb back up will come in at 3.86gb unless you are only backing up windows and not any data.

No, it's saying that he's 3.86 GB short of space on the destination drive. I don't think the backup utility works properly on partitions on the same drive...

there is no way a 50gb back up will come in at 3.86gb unless you are only backing up windows and not any data.

No, it's saying that he's 3.86 GB short of space on the destination drive. I don't think the backup utility works properly on partitions on the same drive...

I agree 100%, and as you stated it is really kind of useless to back up to the same hard drive. I gave up on w7 backup a long time ago, macrium reflect free is good and easy to use.

Thanks people. I think the backup was just slow. Here are the specs.

The backup finished a moment ago.

The Backup and restore is repporting : 133.04GB free of 465.75GB.

Backup size is 329.11GB.

I'm not to sure what is backed up. It may even have done a system image.

Spike, I can see your idea now. 3.8GB is way small for a backup.

Now, one more thing: Windows 7 doesn't say "Restore" as XP does. It says "Backup and Restore"

I guess it is fine now.

If you wish to comment that 329.11GB is a big backup size, please do.

And thanks everybody.

PS I'll download that Macrium thingy.

Edited by Cespenar

Ces, I believe you backed up c and d to your ex drive, I would definitely try to boot from it just to see if it works, the size is very large considering you didn't have that much data to start with.

Spike, I tried a boot after choosing the external from boot menu but it told me to choose a correct device.

It made the real boot up play up a bit, but I checked the Ext drive after a successful boot and you may be right.

Of course it is hard to understand what is really backed up but it included an image of windows.

There was computer name with backup and mediaID, then windowsimage with computer name and folders with keys.