Back in the AMD camp, and I have a frustrating issue with window posit

Crow47

I had that exact same problem, that or when I moved the mouse to bring back the screen it would stay black, I narrowed it down to a driver issue, went back to the older driver and problem fixed.

On another side note the issue is still there with the newest Beta driver also.  I did have one driver version that didn't cause the issue, but that version was before some important updates that made certain games perform much better.   

I need pop in the 7850 for an afternoon and see if it's a problem for it also or if a large % of the people "Without the problem" might just don't have cards that have the issue.

Just for the record I was running the Asus R9290-DC2 OC cards in CFX & Asus P9X79-E WS,.. my system was doing exact windows device removal sound entering sleep,.. and when waking up all my icons, windows, and tabs were moved, re-sized,.. only way to stop the madness was to run in performance mode and disable "ALL" power saving and idle to sleep options,.. thus preventing rig from entering any type power saving mode,.. and just setting monitors to dim & turn off.

Switching to SLI solved issue,.. system now runs in balanced mode with all power saving functions working fine,..  :dunno:  

Edited by Braegnok

Tested this using an R9 280X with three monitors and the newest drivers, no issues. The system sleeps and restarts without a problem. Also does a cold boot and restart with no issues.

The issue was never sleeping and restarting. The issue was letting the system idle long enough to where windows told the GPU to turn off the screens. It was at that point I'd hear the Windows sound for a device disconnecting, and when I came back, all my icons and windows were rearranged and resized. 

I could be wrong, but I believe the issue has to do with the way AMD implements power saving with these newer GPU's. The GPU appears to "disconnect" from the system and reconnect when brought back from idle, thus causing the window resizing. As far as Windows was concerned, the GPU was being removed and put back in. 

It's true, I picked up a 780 ACX and am extremely happy with it. Scores about 1k less in FireStrike but who cares?? It works so much better and the image quality is leaps and bounds beyond AMD in the games I play. If I hadn't run 3DMark I'd have had no idea the 290 was slightly more powerful in synthetics. 

I try not to play fanboy with brands, because I had a really good experience with my 6950's in xfire. But the fact of the matter is that as of now nVidia is a better fit for me based on the games I play.

How/why?

Tested this using an R9 280X with three monitors and the newest drivers, no issues. The system sleeps and restarts without a problem. Also does a cold boot and restart with no issues.

The issue was never sleeping and restarting. The issue was letting the system idle long enough to where windows told the GPU to turn off the screens. It was at that point I'd hear the Windows sound for a device disconnecting, and when I came back, all my icons and windows were rearranged and resized. 

I could be wrong, but I believe the issue has to do with the way AMD implements power saving with these newer GPU's. The GPU appears to "disconnect" from the system and reconnect when brought back from idle, thus causing the window resizing. As far as Windows was concerned, the GPU was being removed and put back in. 

It's true, I picked up a 780 ACX and am extremely happy with it. Scores about 1k less in FireStrike but who cares?? It works so much better and the image quality is leaps and bounds beyond AMD in the games I play. If I hadn't run 3DMark I'd have had no idea the 290 was slightly more powerful in synthetics. 

I try not to play fanboy with brands, because I had a really good experience with my 6950's in xfire. But the fact of the matter is that as of now nVidia is a better fit for me based on the games I play.

How/why?

A really good example of this is ACIV. With the 290, the image appeared kind of grainy, and could only pull 40-50 FPS max in most locations. The AA methods available to the AMD card in that game did not seem to function very well, either. However, with the 780, the image quality is simply superb and everything just appears sharper. Not to mention the fact that I can run TXAA with nVidia, and to my eyes TXAA is amazing. I can also see that the 780 pulls 60 FPS in most areas, which really helps the overall experience, as well. 

How/why?

A really good example of this is ACIV. With the 290, the image appeared kind of grainy, and could only pull 40-50 FPS max in most locations. The AA methods available to the AMD card in that game did not seem to function very well, either. However, with the 780, the image quality is simply superb and everything just appears sharper. Not to mention the fact that I can run TXAA with nVidia, and to my eyes TXAA is amazing. I can also see that the 780 pulls 60 FPS in most areas, which really helps the overall experience, as well.

You couldn't driver force AA, but cool though. Sounds like nvidia did some behind the scenes tampering?

You couldn't driver force AA, but cool though. Sounds like nvidia did some behind the scenes tampering?

It's not behind-the-scenes tampering, it's NVIDIA GameWorks. I won't go into all the details, but basically NVIDIA has a couple hundred software engineers on its payroll that design technologies to aid in game design and development. These technologies fall under the GameWorks umbrella. NVIDIA then offers these technologies for use by game developers, but it's more than simply providing them with the tech, they provide them with direct contact to their own engineers to help with implementing them in the games. PhysX is obviously the most well known example, but there are a ton, like the aforementioned TXAA. Games like the recent AC ones and the Batman Arkham ones are unarguably better looking on NVIDIA GPUs than AMD GPUs because of the NVIDIA tech they feature, and it's the main reason why AMD is trying to stir up controversy about the GameWorks program, saying it's "bad for the industry" :rolleyes:

Well yeah but it's obviously more biased then lol

Really AMD is fighting against two green giants with who have tons of money to spend their way to success... I'm sure if AMD had the funds they'd be able to work on these kind of liason programs so that their hardware gets an edge. It's sad because it's just going to hurt them more and put more money in Nvidia's pockets and let the cycle continue

Really AMD is fighting against two green giants with who have tons of money to spend their way to success... I'm sure if AMD had the funds they'd be able to work on these kind of liason programs so that their hardware gets an edge. It's sad because it's just going to hurt them more and put more money in Nvidia's pockets and let the cycle continue

And you think Amd doesn't have the same tons of money ? They just can't be bothered to do things right ! :no:

And you think Amd doesn't have the same tons of money ? They just can't be bothered to do things right ! :no:

Nowhere near Nvidia's and they need to be careful with how they spend it since they have a CPU and GPU business to do battle on.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

As of this morning I'm back in the house with the 290X and I'll see if I can grab a screenshot for those of you who don't have the issue to see at some point.

In other news, I got an email the other day that I just got around to reading that Shadowplay FINALLY has some AMD competition.  (Not counting MSI afterburner that I've been using) the Raptr client now has beta features for recording gameplay.  Seems to be a small margin ahead of the first implementation of Shadowplay, but looks to have a long way to go to match where Shadowplay has gotten.  Either way it's one big feature I miss from the green camp coming to the red it seems.

EDIT: 

Back on topic here's what my system does.  This is the before and how I leave the PC

14385070207_00f88e0233_o.png

After the monitors go to sleep I come back to this: (again to be clear the computer itself does NOT go to sleep ONLY the monitors)

14384833180_bed06aa38d_o.png

Note the edge of the Chrome window.  It's still maximized, but not to the full 1080p screen it was before.  Also the edges of the window are all crazy.  Also Origin has been moved to the other display.

14568197231_c0bb690386_o.png

Edited by cchalogamer
  • Like 1

As of this morning I'm back in the house with the 290X and I'll see if I can grab a screenshot for those of you who don't have the issue to see at some point.

In other news, I got an email the other day that I just got around to reading that Shadowplay FINALLY has some AMD competition.  (Not counting MSI afterburner that I've been using) the Raptr client now has beta features for recording gameplay.  Seems to be a small margin ahead of the first implementation of Shadowplay, but looks to have a long way to go to match where Shadowplay has gotten.  Either way it's one big feature I miss from the green camp coming to the red it seems.

EDIT: 

Back on topic here's what my system does.  This is the before and how I leave the PC

14385070207_00f88e0233_o.png

After the monitors go to sleep I come back to this: (again to be clear the computer itself does NOT go to sleep ONLY the monitors)

14384833180_bed06aa38d_o.png

Note the edge of the Chrome window.  It's still maximized, but not to the full 1080p screen it was before.  Also the edges of the window are all crazy.  Also Origin has been moved to the other display.

14568197231_c0bb690386_o.png

You're having the exact problem I was having with the window sizing. I suppose it's liveable but it sure is an annoyance.