Cost Effective Color Correct(ish) Monitor

SpeedCrazy

Hey Y'all,

My photography is picking up again and i want to invest in a reasonably color correct monitor. Yes i realize any monitor will need calibrated but i want something slightly more accurate than my old acer and dell oem monitors. Both of which have repeatedly made me waste prints.

Size, nothing excessive, i am currently on a 16 and a 19. Aspect ratio... eh idk... does it matter?

Res, HD or better i can't go back.

Price: I won't set this yet as i want to see whats out there. Nothing more than $1000 for sure and preferably 500 or under but if you have a genuine recommendation put it out there, i finally have some consistent cash flow so i can put a little up if its worth it.

So fire away, and if there any info i haven't mentioned just ask.

Thanks,

Speed

EDIT: Maybe i should buy a dictionary first lol

Edited by SpeedCrazy

Dell UltraSharp U2410. Probably the best monitor you can get for accurate color and photo work imo.

+1 This was on sale for $350 last week but if you can get it for $400 there is nothing better on the market for the price point. I held off for a long time before I finally gave in and bought it last month. Even compared to my calibrated U2311 this monitor is so much nicer. My only problem is the sRGB factory calibration is set a 5800k white point. If you cant get a calibration device the sRGB mode is going give you excellent out of the box colors if you can live with the 5800k white point or at lest know how to recognize the different white it in your work.

I really can't think of any monitor better for color without dropping $600-1000. If you have a color calibrator you may be able to save money at get a $200 monitor and get "similar" results (86% RGB).

edit: I think it's cheaper at the dell website with coupon codes (like 10-15% off). Also don't forget the 2410 has a display port and 96PPi. The display port is just a nicer cable, it does nothing. the 96ppi is nice for photographs, personally I notice it but if you aren't use to looking at photos all day you may not notice.

Edited by hornybluecow

+1 This was on sale for $350 last week but if you can get it for $400 there is nothing better on the market for the price point. I held off for a long time before I finally gave in and bought it last month. Even compared to my calibrated U2311 this monitor is so much nicer. My only problem is the sRGB factory calibration is set a 5800k white point. If you cant get a calibration device the sRGB mode is going give you excellent out of the box colors if you can live with the 5800k white point or at lest know how to recognize the different white it in your work.

I really can't think of any monitor better for color without dropping $600-1000. If you have a color calibrator you may be able to save money at get a $200 monitor and get "similar" results (86% RGB).

edit: I think it's cheaper at the dell website with coupon codes (like 10-15% off). Also don't forget the 2410 has a display port and 96PPi. The display port is just a nicer cable, it does nothing. the 96ppi is nice for photographs, personally I notice it but if you aren't use to looking at photos all day you may not notice.

$400 Sweet thats quite within my range. And i have a friend who i believe has a calibration device i can borrow.

Thanks guys, come paycheck I think i'll grab it. Have to rearrange my desk to fit a 24in on there :doh:

I made this video in the summer and since than I have done a lot more research but this is good enough without going into tremendous details on the ins and out of calibration.

What you do not want to do is calibrate by eye because you will end up with worse results.

yeah the Ms are the e-ips panels and a mix of FL and LED lights based on the monitor model. I haven't found enough information for the LED monitors on how good they calibrate .