increasing cpu multiplier?

GaryT

actually I was wondering, is one kind of thermal paste better than another? I was looking on newegg and there are just so many different options at so many different prices, I'm temptedto go with the cheapest as is my nature, but if it's not gonna transfer heat as well then I don't want it.

There are many.

Some good options are: Arctic Silver MX2, MX4; Noctua NT 2-H1, and many more..

I guess its a matter of breaking down the performance of them. Best thing to do is look for multiple reviews on the brands your looking at buying,

and educate your self.

I use Arctic Silver 5 but only because I had to buy some paste in a pinch and all the local store had was the big tube and I got way over charged as in i paid $30 for Arctic Silver 5 Big aZZ tube so  will be using it for a While LOL

If you are going to be swapping out fans and experimenting  I suggest you atleast entertain the thought of getting a big azz tube $21 at NewEgg  and YouTube how to apply thermal paste to a CPU

Edited by Renigade

the thermal paste is a personal preference. either conductive or none conductive. arctic mx-4.arctic silver. noctua Nth1 . they all work very well. And judging by what you said on the cooler. is it a zalman cnps9500

my bad, the cooler does have numbers on it, it says ultra sd -9025hs on the fan but that brings up many different things on google images so I'm guessing that's the fan model alone, this is what it looks like, and a picture of it running, the blue fan came out of a "Eagle Voltas" power supply. tiger direct apparently calls it a ultra x-wind, which I'm sure would be written on the bottom if I scraped off the thermal paste http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2443597  tumblr_mg1saqQecB1r0hz0eo2_1280.jpgtumblr_mg1saqQecB1r0hz0eo1_1280.jpg

Edited by GaryT
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome! I love looting good parts :D Thought I would pass on a tip for a fellow scavenger :D If you can find used DVR's like tivo or direct-TV the come with standard pc hard drives. If your lucky you could find a few and setup a raid :D Also on low end systems I've had pretty good luck moving the swap file to a separate drive on a separate channel for extra bandwidth.