Mirrors Edge Tested

Nemo

Couple of things. There is a benefit to offloading the Phsx to a second GPU.

The images and effects need to be seen real time to appreciate them.

EA And Dice added the reticule to gie yu a point to focus on to help reduce the nausea and dizziness. It does help when you have a point to focus on.

I am fine with the dogfights in planes because there is the point of focus with the gunsight.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you use PhysX if it's killing performance?

Human eye does not notice a difference between 60 and 100 fps, so might as well enable physX on the newer cards, or toss in a second old card for the 9 and 8 series ones. It looks freaking awesome, that's why. 'Nuff said.

Eye candy always means a performance hit. If you have the hardware capable of using the effects why not use it? I like the eye candy!

Isn't PhysX a technology that is meant to improve performance?

No PhysX was designed to take load off of the cpu to increase frames and loading it to another card. In those tests, there was only one card running. The newer cards are capable of doing PhysX calculations on top of what they are already doing, but with less frames. If you were to use a gtx 260 and toss in an 8800 (which was the original concept) you would get more fps.

So using PhysX (which is supposed to improve performance) means you simply get reduced frames?

Sorry I should have been more clear.

No PhysX was designed to take load off of the cpu to increase frames and loading it to another card. In those tests, there was only one card running. The newer cards are capable of doing PhysX calculations on top of what they are already doing, but with less frames. If you were to use a gtx 260 and toss in an 8800 (which was the original concept) you would get more fps.

:withstupid: Thats what I should have said. I dunno anyone that would have a GTX 295 and throw in a 8800GT being that the card is so powerful but it would be intresting to see if there was much of a difference. The general impression we got was it was more designed for people that had 8 series cards that were looking for a cheaper jump in performance rather then buying another card. Again it will come down to games that will allow scaling as well.

It does scale well from what I have heard. At this point my low end card took a high end dive into a shallow pool and the effect was not worthy. You can put any second card in and scale even running with SLI. The scaling is there.

:withstupid: Thats what I should have said. I dunno anyone that would have a GTX 295 and throw in a 8800GT being that the card is so powerful but it would be intresting to see if there was much of a difference. The general impression we got was it was more designed for people that had 8 series cards that were looking for a cheaper jump in performance rather then buying another card. Again it will come down to games that will allow scaling as well.

Yeah its useless if you have a gtx card but if you are running a 9 or 8 series you can always toss in a cheap 8 series, or maybe a 9 if you find a good deal and get higher fps and enjoy PhysX.