Whiskey

Psywar

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lmao! Very nice guys! I got some good suggestions to try. It kinda sounds like I need to acquire a taste for beer. I am probably missing out on some great drinks and nights lol!

My biggest issue with drinking is the fact you typically have to buy decently large (expensive) bottles of anything you want to try. 

Deathmineral mentioned he bought the Glenlivet and it was a horrible purchase because he had not acquired the taste for that type of drink yet. I was considering trying that the other day, but it was pretty expensive. 

I need to find a friend who has tons of random stuff and just go to his house one weekend and do shots all night lmao!

That's a pretty good way to do it, ask friends if they have anything special they might share or just hit up some bars. I found much of my taste for whiskey at one of my favorite bars. It has anything Johnnie Walker from Red to Blue label, and a considerable amount of decent to high end bourbons. Probably the best bourbon they have there is Basil Hayden, made by the same family that makes Old Grand Dad, but it's top shelf unlike Old Grand Dad. I've only had one shot of it but it was probably the best bourbon I've tasted yet, though Woodford competes with it strongly. 

A good place to start with Scotch is probably Dewar's, it's a blended scotch but it's still very good. You hear a lot of people say you have to go with single malts but really that's just a lot of snobbery I think, there may be some truth to it but blended scotch can still be very good. What's nice about a lot of the scotch out there is that they usually have a description of the flavors on the box or bottle.

Hard liqour all tastes the same to me but Tequila always spells trouble.

I love tequila.  Tequila loves you even if she won't......because you threw up all over her ;)

Fixed

Well if you threw up it just means you need more practice!  Practice makes perfect!

You mean practice makes poorfect, tequila does not grow on trees sir.

Stupid double post!  I blame the beer! 

Now who's the lightweight :teehee:

I just checked out my local food store (Meijers) I did not find anything intriguing to try. They had Jameson Irish Whiskey I was considering but they only had a really large bottle.

I think I am going to order The Balvenie online and have it delivered lol. See how that goes and tastes.

I am 40 and was a full blown alcoholic before I was 21, by the age of 25 I had a handle on my drinking. Scotch and burbon have never been a good choice for me and neither has beer. I do like Angry Orchard Crisp apple as a daily drinker to relax after work.

I hear that quite often that whiskey makes people mean.

I never thought a specific type of alcohol could do that. I always figured it was just you were a mean drunk no matter what you drank.

I am glad to hear you got a handle on things, but I knew that since I have met you a few times IRL. Addiction is never a good thing and for one to overcome any type of addiction is a huge mountain that had been climbed and conquered. I commend you on a job well done. 

I usually just stick to Jack Daniels, will mix it with root beer or diet coke if anything. Fireball is also good if you like cinnamon. If I am feeling particularly festive or it is my birthday or something like that I will buy some scotch, Macallan, Glenlivet, etc.

I usually just stick to Jack Daniels, will mix it with root beer or diet coke if anything. Fireball is also good if you like cinnamon. If I am feeling particularly festive or it is my birthday or something like that I will buy some scotch, Macallan, Glenlivet, etc.

Jack and Gummi Bears if I am not mistaken?  :teehee:

Scotch is flavored with peat, anong other flavors, and is usually an acquired taste. Non Sotch drinkers tend to accuse it of tasting like iodine. (who drinks iodine, I wonder?)

Old Crow Bourbon still around?

Irish whiskey can be very smooth. It was a favorite American whiskey for a time.

Bushmills and Jamison's come to mind.

Canadian whiskey, can be very good.

Canadian Club (Seagram's, I think) and Canadian Lord Calvert were standby's for home bars.

Seagram's Seven was a "mixer" whiskey.

A friend liked to try obscure cheop brands like "Old Overholt"?

I enjoyed stronger flavored whiskeys over ice, for sipping, mostly single malt scotches.

Edited by ohldboy