Smart TVs vs Real TVs

So what do you guys think of this sudden rush to make most TVs "Smart" TVs....I personally hate it, though I think this is more so due to the fact that I have a dedicated HTPC to bring a far superior experience.

I actually find it a turn off when I see "Smart TV" when I'm looking at a set. (I'm softly shopping for a TV to use in my apartment when I move out next month)

IMHO I could potentially get a cheaper set if they didn't fill it with this smart garbage, hell even TV tuners aren't really needed since most HD boxes just connect with HDMI anymore. (not that I care much about that either since Ideally I would just get an internet plan with no TV if I could)

I suppose I haven't seen all the different types of them but my friend's 65" LG Smart TV has wii like menus that load slowly and clunkily for even basic TV function (like dialing in a channel or something is all on screen with the wiimote ripoff). I'd be furious if his set was my set for what he spent.

So where do you stand? I feel this is one of those things that rustles my feathers like the idea to get rid of physical keyboards on android phones, or the idea that more CPU cores need to be added to phones/tablets without increasing the RAM first.

Anyway, do discuss and take part in the poll!

Edited by IVIYTH0S

My vote is a good viewing HDTV with an additional device, be it something like Chromecast, console, HTPC, and/or etc. I used to work technical support for an ISP and got a lot of calls for Smart HDTVs with poor performing WiFi connections. Either they are very picky as to which security setting you need to use or they are just dirt slow due to interferences or quality.

I own 2 PS3s, HTPC, and 1 Chromecast. Chromecast is great for informal rooms like the bedroom. HTPC is using XBMC with a wireless keyboard. PS3s aren't up to par anymore, Chromecast beats it by a long shot. The only thing I may consider replacing my HTPC with is an Android TV box granted it can provide the same functionality as XBMC (most likely not).

Edited by AZNguyen

I don't like it personally. A smart TV will have its own propriety OS, and a UI that fits with using a remote. The software won't have many upgrades, so eventually it will be a lot slower than newer versions on newer smart TV's. 

I have a smart TV... There are usual software updates for it. Connected to wireless fine. Use it in my room for netflix and streaming is fine. Connect to my samsung phone for mirroring as well.. and Also have Chromecast and PS3 connected to it as well..

I don't see the point...but having Netflix/Pandora built in would be the only things I'd ever use (in a guest room or something).

Psh, even then...it's too easy to plug in a laptop or heck, even a PHONE, to get by. lol 

I just got a 60" Visio last weekend. Finally got internet in my new house yesterday and connected it to my WiFi. Works well enough with Netflix so far. Watched a movie with no problems at all. Can't really complain about it. Plus its not like you have to use the extra stuff if you don't want.

And I bet these features are only going to become more and more standard in the future.

Edited by Coors

my tv is a smart tv, i used to run internet out to it. Used it almost solely for netflix. then we got a blu-ray drive that did the same things faster and wireless. Sometimes pandora, rarely the other programs.

The smart stuff doesn't get in the way for me, if it doesn't cost extra / hurt performance then who cares?

my tv is a smart tv, i used to run internet out to it. Used it almost solely for netflix. then we got a blu-ray drive that did the same things faster and wireless. Sometimes pandora, rarely the other programs.

The smart stuff doesn't get in the way for me, if it doesn't cost extra / hurt performance then who cares?

Yeah but if it wasn't incorporated the TV could be cheaper for its primary function. And you see, your BR player already improved upon the smart stuff on the TV...this smart stuff is just a gimmick to slow down eventually and make newer smart TVs look better because they'll "run faster" instead of just providing me video like they're supposed to lol

I just picked up a new Samsung smart TV, never used the features, never will. I have one HDMI going to it from my PC and that's all I will (probably) ever need.