Seagate Barracuda Drive ST2000DM001

EuroFight

The sequentials are awesome but the access time is just average. Thought maybe we'd have 12ms these days with a modern 7200rpm, but I guess mechanical can only go so fast.

I think the earlier version of the drive has 3 platters instead of 2, and that had about 12ms response time. I just have the later version that's quieter and apparently more reliable.

I would assume you could get less than that on 10k rpm drives though.

Great speed from the new drive, but I'd say the it being sata3 compared to sata2 on the older drive is what is making the drive so much faster. Looking at the results from hd tune I don't think the older drive is going to be running much longer. I wouldn't trust it with any important data. :no:

Great speed from the new drive, but I'd say the it being sata3 compared to sata2 on the older drive is what is making the drive so much faster. Looking at the results from hd tune I don't think the older drive is going to be running much longer. I wouldn't trust it with any important data. :no:

I'll bear that in mind, I'll keep the data backed up. Cheers for the heads up :)