Overclocking AMD Phenom II x4 965

Gunsmoke

Hello everyone. I'm eager to overclock my Phenom to 4.0GHz. I'm currently running it at 3.8GHz with around 40-45 degrees at 1.5V on it on BIOS. I've got an aftermarket cooler as well - Cooler Master V8.

Here's my full specs before they're even asked for:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.8GHz w/ Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler

RAM: AMD Memory Entertainment Edition 8GB DDR3

GPU: MSI GTX 760 2GB Twin Frozr IV Lite Edition

PSU: Chieftec 700W

Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition

So, what I'm asking for is the settings I gotta put in, in the BIOS to achieve a stable 4.0GHz clock, because I've just simply raised the multiplier and voltage a bit to achieve that 3.8 and when I tried 20x, even with low temperatures, got BSOD in Prime95. I've seen some suggested settings, but I could use other people's opinions on this as well.

Is this one legit?:

CPU Freq: 225

Multiplier: 18

NB Multiplier: 12

HT Multiplier: 9

CPU VID volts: 1.475

CPU-NB volts: 1.275

that motherboard doesnt let you get 4.0ghz.

i always had mine stuck on 3.8ghz and for a good reason, if you try to pump even more juice you have a chance to burn the motherboard and you dont have anything at all then.

settle with 3.8 because 4.0 really doesnt make a difference beside the number itself - which has no value in the gaming world

I'm not sure if I can agree that 200MHz won't make a difference, because in BF3 with 3.6 GHz and the same GTX 760 I got like struggling 25-30FPS in the docks map, after OCing a bit further to 3.8GHz fps raised up to 55-60FPS. But still, thanks for the opinions. Might upgrade to a newer Phenom II in future, like 980 since I've heard not many good things about the FX processors.

I'm not sure if I can agree that 200MHz won't make a difference, because in BF3 with 3.6 GHz and the same GTX 760 I got like struggling 25-30FPS in the docks map, after OCing a bit further to 3.8GHz fps raised up to 55-60FPS. But still, thanks for the opinions. Might upgrade to a newer Phenom II in future, like 980 since I've heard not many good things about the FX processors.

that is definitely not the 200mhz push, that is something else that was wrong with your system. 

if you are planning on upgrading and wanna stick to amd, get an 1100t or something, that will actually improve your system rather then putting the same processor in there with a little mhz bump.

Edited by WarWeeny

that is definitely not the 200mhz push, that is something else that was wrong with your system. 

if you are planning on upgrading and wanna stick to amd, get an 1100t or something, that will actually improve your system rather then putting the same processor in there with a little mhz bump.

Problem is I can't find that 1100T anywhere on sale, and I'm not sure how many applications actually support more than 4 cores.

Problem is I can't find that 1100T anywhere on sale, and I'm not sure how many applications actually support more than 4 cores.

then i would suggest to go for intel for a change, save up some money and get a 2500k or higher series i5 plus a nice motherboard to go along the way.

this way you don't have to upgrade the cpu for at least 5 years or so if the cpu's are clocked @4.0ghz or higher.

plus you will get a boost you will never thought of ;)

then i would suggest to go for intel for a change, save up some money and get a 2500k or higher series i5 plus a nice motherboard to go along the way.

this way you don't have to upgrade the cpu for at least 5 years or so if the cpu's are clocked @4.0ghz or higher.

That may be true, however I always try to get the best of the best and the Intel CPU I guess I'd go for is the 3770k since it's quite popular, but after I saw its pricing it was a definite "hell no" from me, at least for now. As for motherboard I did find a good cheap PCI-Express 3.0 supporting one. Until then I guess I'll have to use whatever I can get.

Edited by Gunsmoke

That may be true, however I always try to get the best of the best and the Intel CPU I guess I'd go for is the 3770k since it's quite popular, but after I saw its pricing it was a definite "hell no" from me, at least for now. As for motherboard I did find a good cheap PCI-Express 3.0 supporting one. Until then I guess I'll have to use whatever I can get.

get the 3570k instead, an i5 is plenty to go for in terms of gaming and other duties.

plus it is a lot cheaper than the 3770k, an i5 is the same as an i7, except it doesnt have hyperthreading - which games dont use.

get the 3570k instead, an i5 is plenty to go for in terms of gaming and other duties.

plus it is a lot cheaper than the 3770k, an i5 is the same as an i7, except it doesnt have hyperthreading - which games dont use.

Now that's something more reasonable, price wise. Will it support my Cooler Master V8? Is the overclocking process same as AMD's? Because I'd love to have 3.8/4.0GHz on that Intel processor.

Now that's something more reasonable, price wise. Will it support my Cooler Master V8? Is the overclocking process same as AMD's? Because I'd love to have 3.8/4.0GHz on that Intel processor.

4.0ghz should be a breeze on that processor, you get probably 50% performance increase if you would go for the 3570k vs 965 both @ 4.0ghz, even more if you can get it to 4.5ghz - which isn't uncommon.

you should look up what sockets the v8 supports and it should support 1155 because the cooler-socket is the same as the 1156, and that socket is getting old already (more than 3 years now)

overclocking is done through increasing the base clock, its nothing special really, increase base-clock = increase clock-speed.

the only difference it would make is that the base-clock also increases memory-clocks so you might want to lower those clocks to 1333mhz if the ramsticks are 1600mhz, just to be sure.

there are plenty of overclock guides on occ but if you are the least familiar with overclocking you should be fine.

one thing i should note is that you must not skimp on the motherboard, otherwise you get the same problems you have now with your 965.

look up on google what boards getting what clocks, although not 100% accurate, it is a good indication what to expect from what board.

Edited by WarWeeny