New ASUS RT-N66R

Renigade

I know your thinking shouldn't that be a N66U? R= Retail I was inpatient and didn't want to wait for shipping so I got it at Best Buy.

My Question is:

Does anyone else have this router and what precautions do I need to take when setting up AiCloud or should I not set it up at all?

Just worried about security. Seeing as I know jack about networking and security.

Links? to help a Nub understand how to keep my network safe?

or any tips any one have any tips for me would be greatly appreciated?

Still cant Edit my posts :( oops a skip in the record !

I mean besides not using the obvious passwords. I use Max amount of character spaces allowed and mix upper and lowercase with numbers all random ..

OK let me a bit more specific. is it safe to set up my External HDD plugged into my router via USB as a password protected FTP and are there other precautions I can take? I wanted to share m4usic and pictures with my Family

( Wish I could Edit my posts)

I know your thinking shouldn't that be a N66U? R= Retail I was inpatient and didn't want to wait for shipping so I got it at Best Buy.

No this is not the reason it has the R at the end. There are differences between the R and U models. You can view this on ASUS website.

Setting up aiCloud service is entirely up to you. If you intend on using it, then by all means. If you want details check out this video breakdown:

There are other videos for helping you with the service.

Edited by altereDad

Your external HDD connected as a network drive to that router isn't any less or any more secure than any other device functioning on the LAN side of the router.  Take your normal precautions and you'll be fine.  Select highest level of encryption available and use strong passwords.  That's about the only two caveats.

• 2 weeks later...

No this is not the reason it has the R at the end. There are differences between the R and U models. You can view this on ASUS website.

Setting up aiCloud service is entirely up to you. If you intend on using it, then by all means. If you want details check out this video breakdown:

There are other videos for helping you with the service.

they use the same firmware... Unless that has changed?