Piggyback wireless off wired router?

mac173

I have a wired network in my house. I have recently added a Blu-Ray player and X-Box that both have wireless. I would like to piggyback a wireless router for those off my current router to both avoid running the cables, and extend the router ports.

I currently have a 4-port Linksys router connected to Cable (average ping 14M to 16M BYHXpfJ.png ) with two computers hooked up. I want to keep these on wired connections for the faster speeds. My laptop, Blu-ray and X-Box would use the wireless.

Is this workable?

Edited by mac173

You can either get an Access Point, or a cheap router (set to Access Point mode and DHCP off)... basically you plug an Ethernet cable from the Linksys router to the new AP/Router(AP mode) and then hey presto you've added WiFi.

That's basically it, might need to do a bit of light initial set up of networking on the new AP/Router to define the gateway, DNS, etc. but it's basically a 1 minute job that's really easy.

Yeah hardnrg is right - this is actually super simple. I'm running multiple wired and wireless access points in my house off just standard linksys/etc routers and switches.

The key part is to avoid using the WAN port, and also to disable any dhcp server services on everything but the primary router. Most routers these day can have custom firmware put on them (dd-wrt, tomato, etc) that can change the WAN port into a LAN port if you need extra interfaces.

Wifi as with a normal router is only limited to either a factory set number available ush. in the manual, or more often than governed by just the IPV rules example a set of c class addresses on IPv4 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.255 can support 253 devices 254 if you count 192.168.1.1 which in this case is being used as the routers address. Not that I would recommend hooking that many devices to a single router wireless or not due to issues with processing speed of the router and total bandwidth capacity. A mild number of machines should not be a problem 10 or so after that you might want to supplement with more APs and some other techniques would be required aswell that to handle maximum bandwidth of the router/AP issues, cross talk and other technical hurdles. Hopefully this helpful to you.

Edited by spectrascope

Wifi as with a normal router is only limited to either a factory set number available ush. in the manual, or more often than governed by just the IPV rules example a set of c class addresses on IPv4 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.255 can support 253 devices 254 if you count 192.168.1.1 which in this case is being used as the routers address. Not that I would recommend hooking that many devices to a single router wireless or not due to issues with processing speed of the router and total bandwidth capacity. A mild number of machines should not be a problem 10 or so after that you might want to supplement with more APs and some other techniques would be required aswell that to handle maximum bandwidth of the router/AP issues, cross talk and other technical hurdles. Hopefully this helpful to you.

Thanks, I was only looking at 3 or 4 devices. Appreciate the help, it will make my work much easier.