Ok as everybody who has been reading my posts know I'm building a rig based around the new a10 7850k in a few weeks. I wondering if anybody has any experience with and gamer series memory? I'm looking at 8gb R9 Series kit rated at 2400mhz or the radeon series 16gb kit rated 2133mhz. Does either have abilities when it comes to over clocking? Currently the 2133 kit only comes in 16gb which I know is a bit extreme usually when it comes to a rig that won't be used for video editing and such. Also if anybody can point me to any reviews that would be great.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am running a 16 gig kit of 2133 and have had zero issues with it. I do not however bother to overclock the RAM as the gains are really more for bragging rights than any real performance boost.

the two vendors that work well on AMD are AMD/Radeon and Adata XPG..... the AMD brand works very well and designed to play welll together. I cant speak for over clocking as I am with Ed. I run it at rated speeds and use a Divider if need be. you'll get an increase in bandwidth overclocking the CPU just for the fact the IMC is driven faster...

As Ed stated... it only matters in benchmarks...real world wont see a difference.

So even with an APU the oc won't give you much in the way of an performance increase with gaming and such because I know you can increase your fps quite a bit from 1600 to 2400 let me guess once you hit 2133 or 2400? Increases in speed like 2666 or 2800 aren't going to give you any extra fps?

J  - The significant FPS jumps reported when testing DDR3 1600Mhz versus DDR3 2400Mhz memory really only come in to play if you are gaming at low resolutions with minimal AA and eye candy.  If you're gaming at 1920x1080 or above and using lots of AA and eye candy, those FPS improvements aren't so drastic.  So, in short I wouldn't recommend shelling out a ton of cash for "high speed" memory if your primary goal is higher FPS.  Now if you can get a kit of DDR3 2133 or DDR3 2400Mhz memory for just a few bucks more than DDR3 1600Mhz memory then it becomes a win-win proposition, but not otherwise.

With that being said, I often purchase and use high speed memory, but I do that because of the flexibility it offers me in lowering the frequency but using tighter timings and lower voltages.  It just gives me a little more flexibility for dialing everything in.

J  - The significant FPS jumps reported when testing DDR3 1600Mhz versus DDR3 2400Mhz memory really only come in to play if you are gaming at low resolutions with minimal AA and eye candy.  If you're gaming at 1920x1080 or above and using lots of AA and eye candy, those FPS improvements aren't so drastic.  So, in short I wouldn't recommend shelling out a ton of cash for "high speed" memory if your primary goal is higher FPS.  Now if you can get a kit of DDR3 2133 or DDR3 2400Mhz memory for just a few bucks more than DDR3 1600Mhz memory then it becomes a win-win proposition, but not otherwise.

With that being said, I often purchase and use high speed memory, but I do that because of the flexibility it offers me in lowering the frequency but using tighter timings and lower voltages.  It just gives me a little more flexibility for dialing everything in.

Wev -

Not sure that's so true when using the APU. The newest APUs from AMD are actually bandwidth starved and get a pretty decent boost with fast memory in terms of graphics performance.

Jumping up to 2133 will net a significant increase in FPS over bog-standard memory: http://semiaccurate.com/2014/01/15/exploring-effect-memory-bandwidth-amds-kaveri/

Based on his two options I would still go the 2133. With 16 gig you can give the iGPU a full 2 gig of memory or more and still have a healthy left over, I hate getting below 8 gig on my system memory.

I also have heard that the AMD memory is made by Patriot. If I did not go AMD then I would go Kingston, works everytime for me without fail.

Based on his two options I would still go the 2133. With 16 gig you can give the iGPU a full 2 gig of memory or more and still have a healthy left over, I hate getting below 8 gig on my system memory.

I also have heard that the AMD memory is made by Patriot. If I did not go AMD then I would go Kingston, works everytime for me without fail.

Ed you bring up a good point. I have a question though would there be significant increases from 2gb to four? I'm just curious because 16 GB Is way more than needed with this system so I have it to spare?

Wev -

Not sure that's so true when using the APU. The newest APUs from AMD are actually bandwidth starved and get a pretty decent boost with fast memory in terms of graphics performance.

Jumping up to 2133 will net a significant increase in FPS over bog-standard memory: http://semiaccurate.com/2014/01/15/exploring-effect-memory-bandwidth-amds-kaveri/

Thanks for correcting that Waco.  I didn't realize that the OP wasn't going to be using a discrete video card.

OP, please disregard my advice.

Ram speed plays a much bigger role on gaming performance when using integrated graphics,.. the natively supported DDR3-2133 would be my choice.

Edited by Braegnok

Ok so I would basically allocate half my ram to video performance. Do I still have to go into windows settings like with the Intel HD graphics or can I do it from the catalyst control panel. Also the review I read on neoseeker says that they got their kit to 2600 with 12 12 13 35 settings @ 1.75 volts. Is it worth it? Also I always confused by this I know your timings are roughly a product of the first three numbers equaling the last number. So why is it that sometimes its lower or higher?