Returning member, I need help!

I just built a new system after a long time away from the hobby. 

Intel dz77re-75k

Intel core i5 3570k

18 gigs / 2x 8 gigs patriot Intel extreme masters ddr-3 1600mhz

intel 330 series 120 gig ssd

evga nvidia gtx660ti ftw signature 2

corsair tx750m power supplie

win 7 home premium

First boot up no go, got three beeps, codes for mother board said it was memory error, took out a stick of memory, got boot up.

installed win, during updates and downloading and installing drivers got read write error and BSD!

Took the memory out of my old system and installed it dose not seem to be any more problems. fingers crossed.

How ever there have been a few finicky moments, for instance after a windows update the system rebooted a number of times before entering win, I am not sure if this was function of the updates or an error.

Also the usb 3.0 ports on my mother board do not seem to work, the regular ones see my thumb drive but not the 3.0. I have installed Intel's usb 3.0 drivers from their website.

So here is were I am at, I need some way of testing my rig to see if there are any other problems like maybe with my hard drive or the mother board, and also I got to find out why my usb 3.0 ports do not seem to work.

Any help is appreciated. I am really down to a wire with this. I built this system in part to run revit 3d architecture and other architectural modeling programs for school.

Thanks

Wow. Sounds like you have your hands full.

So the memory kit you just bought for this rig doesnt work with both installed and bsod with 1 installed. Guess Bios Defaults Timings not right? Manually check with one stick installed. Change to whatever box says.

Usb 3.0  Are you using the posts directly connected to the board or the ones on the front panel? Have you checked bios to make sure the Usb 3.0 is turned on? Its seperate from the USB 2.0 setting.

If you know how to use the torrents you can find a copy of MRI PC diagnostics. It will check your entire system. Is this a new SSD or old one? I think you issues are BIOS settings related. Check for new verision and check your settings for everything related to memory, usb and the sata mode.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies guys. I just successfully updated the bios to the latest. How ever the USB 3.0 ports still do not work, I can use the regular USB ports though.

I am scared to try the memory to see if the bios update may have helped.

I did also download Intel's SSD diagnostic tool for their SSD drives and a quick test came back ok. And yes to your question it is a brand new SSD.

So right now I just got to get the &@!!$ to try the memory to see if the bios update helped.

I'll post back tomorrow with news.

Thanks.

(EDIT) Tried the memory after the bios update and still a no go. So the board seems to work with 2 x 2gig 1600mhz 1.5v sticks , but the 2 x 8gig 1600mhz 1.5v sticks do not work. (same slot on board also) So looks like it is my memory.

The thing is the new memory is supposed to be designed for Intel boards and hand tested! So much for patriots advertisements. I got some new memory coming so I'll test that, that will tell me if it is the mother board for sure.

Edited by RADEON

Radeon -

With the working memory modules still installed.  Boot into BIOS and load optimized defaults.  Now go to the memory configuration settings and manually enter in the four primary memory timings of the 8Gb sticks you want to use.  Also set the DRAM voltage at 1.55v.  Save changes, exit and shutdown.

With machine still powered down, pull old memory and install new memory.  Boot up into BIOS (hopefully you can).  Load optimized defaults again, before exiting go back to memory configuration and reset the four primary memory timings and dram voltage (usually you can find the specs. on the stickers pasted onto the memory modules).

Save changes, reboot and run Memtest before you proceed any further.  Let Memtest run at minimum 3-4 hours (but the longer the better).

Let's get your memory issues straightened out first and then we can see if we can figure out the USB 3.0 problem.  However, my guess on that is;

1. USB 3.0 not enabled in BIOS

2. USB 2.0 Legacy support enabled or disabled (need to try it both ways)

Radeon -

With the working memory modules still installed.  Boot into BIOS and load optimized defaults.  Now go to the memory configuration settings and manually enter in the four primary memory timings of the 8Gb sticks you want to use.  Also set the DRAM voltage at 1.55v.  Save changes, exit and shutdown.

With machine still powered down, pull old memory and install new memory.  Boot up into BIOS (hopefully you can).  Load optimized defaults again, before exiting go back to memory configuration and reset the four primary memory timings and dram voltage (usually you can find the specs. on the stickers pasted onto the memory modules).

Save changes, reboot and run Memtest before you proceed any further.  Let Memtest run at minimum 3-4 hours (but the longer the better).

Let's get your memory issues straightened out first and then we can see if we can figure out the USB 3.0 problem.  However, my guess on that is;

1. USB 3.0 not enabled in BIOS

2. USB 2.0 Legacy support enabled or disabled (need to try it both ways)

All right so I set the timing of the 8 gig sticks manually and set voltage to 1.55, same thing, no post, 3 beep code.

The thing is the mem that dose work, 2 x 2gig has timings 9-9-9-28 and 1600mhz.

The 8 gig sticks have timings 9-9-9-24 and 1600mhz, so they are almost identical.

So I am kind of dumbfounded. I am going to ttry the 8 gig sticks in my old system just for the heck of to make sure they are good. I now have to set of the patriot 2 x 8gig and both do the same thing in the intel board.

Also I did update the bios to the latest. And as for the usb 3.0 i did install intels latest drivers.

(EDIT) just FYI i tried to contact Intel support, they put a character limit in the question window, so you can only ask short questions. WTF Intel!

Because I have 2 sets of the patriot ram that dose not work in the board and the ram that dose work is almost identical I am thinking this is MB related. But I do not know what to try next.

Edited by RADEON

If you can return the board then get an RMA. But if you have the same issues with the new board then we know it is a driver and settings issue with some of you problems.

Both new sticks of ram work in the new board 1 at a time? Both is a no go in either system?  Return it as well.

If you can return the board then get an RMA. But if you have the same issues with the new board then we know it is a driver and settings issue with some of you problems.

Both new sticks of ram work in the new board 1 at a time? Both is a no go in either system?  Return it as well.

Yeah i got an rma for the ram and also for the mb. its easier this way. Like you said if I still run  into the problem then I know it is a setting or driver. 

But one thing that makes me think that its an actual hardware defect is the fact that even after I  got it to boot with one stick of the new ram I got memory read write errors and a BSD and then it has hung on post three times today.

the  weird thing is that I had a another set of identical ram over knighted to me because I did not want to wait for the original ram to get back from rma and that ram also would not post. So either I got two sets of bad ram or there is something wrong with the MB.

This is just a really weird situation, some ram works the new stuff won't, symptoms seem like ram problems but . .. 

O well I will just wait for the new board from rma and the new ram from rma.

Radeon - the one big difference between the RAM that works and the RAM that doesn't is the density of the RAM modules themselves.  8Gb sticks have 4x the density of a 2Gb stick and that may be causing the problem.  Have you tried manually setting the memory frequency down to 1333Mhz, four primary timings to 8-8-8-24 and DRAM voltage to 1.5v

It would be interesting to see if the board boots then.

Regardless - I wouldn't be too happy with a board that couldn't run what the specs. the mfg. says it will run.

Radeon - the one big difference between the RAM that works and the RAM that doesn't is the density of the RAM modules themselves.  8Gb sticks have 4x the density of a 2Gb stick and that may be causing the problem.  Have you tried manually setting the memory frequency down to 1333Mhz, four primary timings to 8-8-8-24 and DRAM voltage to 1.5v

It would be interesting to see if the board boots then.

Regardless - I wouldn't be too happy with a board that couldn't run what the specs. the mfg. says it will run.

Exactly, this thing should boot no problem. This is one of Intel's highest end boards, and Patriot says that the memory was specifically designed for this chip set board, so . . . 

Also after looking at the mob box, it seem like it could of been opened before i got it. It looks like it was closed with regular packing tape, I don't know if Intel uses a hand held packing tap dispenser to close their MB boxes. So maybe New Egg sent me a board that had been returned before.

O well, the memory and MB are in the mail back to new egg right now, so In about a week I should have the new parts and I'll try again.

Unfortunately you've got to be really careful with Newegg these days.  They certainly aren't beyond representing a returned item as brand new anymore.  Honestly I've taken to searching for parts on Amazon or other places before I hit the buy button at Newegg.

I'm very familiar with Amazon's return center (having visited their main facility frequently in the last year for work).  I trust them a lot more than I trust the semi-shady dealings at the Egg these days.