Typical Rig PPD?

NightDiver

After looking at the differences between capabilities of my AM2, my laptop, my boys' HP, and my new FX-8120, I started wondering... What is typical PPD for each home computer (as opposed to some server farm). My Dell (i5) hasnt been folding long enough to see where it falls with combined cpu / gpu projects, but heres a shot of my Bulldozer in action...

Folding.jpg

My 4.6GHz 2600k was pulling about 23-24k ppd for a while. The multipliers on my 1075T haven't kicked in yet but that bumped me up another 4k ppd for right now. I am hoping it picks up soon so I can catch malmsteenisgod :evilgrin:

ok, so basically my 4.1 8120 plus all my old rigs together add up to about what your 2600k knocks out... lol

Intel CPUs can get big advanced work units which have a nice bonus to them, which propels their PPDs to insane levels. These are work units which require 8 threads, so only an Intel quad-core with hyperthreading could complete them. Not sure if they're changed the client at all to allow the 8120 or 8150 to work on those units, since they do have eight integer cores.

Basically, you do not want to compare AMD and Intel PPDs nor do you want to compare AMD and nVidia PPDs because the work units are just flatly optimized for CUDA. At least, that was the last I heard. They have been working on OpenCL optimizations, which would actually give AMD an edge (both manufacturers support OpenCL but several AMD cards actually have more shaders than nVidia) but to my knowledge they haven't finished that work yet.

I am only doing about 14K per day with my 2600K with a screwed up smp setup my 570 and my dual core amd work rig running 2 instances and my I5 2410 laptop 1 instance

Looks like I'll have to set my sights on catching you then... might take a couple years, but if I keep pulling close to 20k, should happen eventually... lol

Well, not if you want to feel good about your new "8 core" processor you don't. :P

I kid, I kid.

I still feel good about my new 8 core processor, I just blame the difference on an Intel conspiracy to get Stanford to keep programming to benefit their scores... lol