Intel Core i7 980X Tested

Bosco

don't hold your breath. intel is the only player in this category and they dont' really have a reason to release cheaper 6cores

That's my question...are there budget 6 cores coming out "relatively" soon?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have no idea, but they have no reason to. once AMD releases their hex-chip (which will obviously be cheaper than intels offering, then @ that point is when i can see intel releasing "budget" 6 core chips

I will be testing the cooler in an upcoming review head to head with some other coolers.

It is expensive but Im sure it will sell well to those who normally buy the Extreme chips anyhow. $999 for a 6 core 12 threaded beast verses the i7 975 with 4 cores and 8 threads! ! Can go wrong

Soon!

Sweet deal, I'm looking forward to see how the stock cooler stacks up with other, proven ones. It may not do too well for overclocking, but if it can handle heavy load at stock speeds without getting too out of hand, then I think the design is a winner. I just wish the fan didn't look so flimsy. :lol:

Yeah, I agree that if people are willing to shell out the money for the i7 965/975, then they would easily be able to get the 6 core 980X. I just hope the people can actually find a way to max out all 6 physical cores. :P

Yeah, I agree that if people are willing to shell out the money for the i7 965/975, then they would easily be able to get the 6 core 980X. I just hope the people can actually find a way to max out all 6 physical cores. :P

some will buy it because they have the means & want the best... 5 cores will sit idle while the other hovers around 2% while the "power user" streams music over pandora :bah:

the other buyers will actually use it for encoding, and finally the rest will use it for distributed computing bragging rights