OCC News Letter

Dariuas

I really enjoy the OCC WEB site. The varied range of tops makes for reading which always strives to enlighten.

However, the email I received today was almost unreadable.

1. using medium blue text on a dark blue background makes for almost unreadable messages

2. using light grey text on a white background is also difficult to read.

Other than these two issues, email newsletter is O/K.

We're working on changing the link color, so the blue-on-blue should be gone in the next newsletter.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As small change would be to include just a couple more news.

4 is a little too little. I know that the mail shouldn't be like 100 pages long, but I guess somewhere between 7-10 would be better.

And maybe, for the fun of it, you could add quote of the month or something like that :)

I agree with ecofriendly, the newsletter is a little on the small side. A few more of the bigger news stories from the week would be good, otherwise very nicely set up with the new reviews and so on.

We've expanded the newsletter content a bit with more article links and an expanded article at the top. We also cleaned up the format a bit to make it easier to read.

We'd love to hear back on other improvements/additions you'd like to see.

Thanks for reading!

I got the newsletter again. It's been a regular event in my mailbox. Expanding it is a good idea. Also, a chance to reply to some of what's included in it would be good.

I read the short piece on the importance of buying a quality PSU for your system. This is sage advice indeed. I'll reply to it here.

A lousy PSU can not only under-power your system, but if it fails, it can result in a catastrophe that can destroy the PC components that you thoughtfully selected when you built it.

I don't usually run dual Video cards because of finances, so I do not need a very high powered PSU for my systems. Mine are 650's and a 750w and are all 80+ Bronze certified.

I rely on SeaSonic brand PSU's for the quality that I know I'll get when I spend just a little more money on them. That little extra money spent can buy a lot of peace of mind.

They are the brand that I trust.

I must say the small editorials are a nice touch but a link should be set up to say the forums where it can be discussed.

Something like- Generic Power Supplies - a Recipe for Disaster? and below in the topic description- A discussion of the OCC News letter artical

Anyway the newsletter is looking good well formatted and set out.

I got the newsletter again. It's been a regular event in my mailbox. Expanding it is a good idea. Also, a chance to reply to some of what's included in it would be good.

What do you mean by the last part? Like reply directly to us or just commenting on one of the included links?

It's nice that you've added an editorial to the newsletter, but in that case why not create a subject on the forum where replies to it could be posted?

Specifically in this case, I think that people who read the OCC newsletter are people who don't need to be told to get a good PSU. :)

But I've used generic PSU's for many years (now using Topower, which isn't well known, but isn't generic), and they've worked fine for me. If you don't overtax your PC and its top power requirement is 150W or less they can work fine, and for the majority of users they do. I've known quite a few people who've been using the same PC with a generic PSU for quite a few years (my father, for example) with no issue. I don't think the inefficiency when the PC takes under 50W most of the time mounts to much even after all these years.

Also regarding PSU brands, different parts of the world have different brands. If it's hard to find many reviews for a product, it could just mean that it's not sold in the US. It could also mean that the manufacturer didn't send one for review to major sites or, as the editorial said: "The review sites [either] don't want them because they know how they'll perform", a sentence that made me want to puke. Either case reflects more on tech journalism than on manufacturers.

What do you mean by the last part? Like reply directly to us or just commenting on one of the included links?

He means what he said earlier, along with what Neil and ET3D said - they want a forum topic created for every occ newsletter editorial, linked to in the newsletter, so that people can reply, comment, critique, etc.

There was a good piece in the newsletter about the quality of the PSU that you buy when building a PC. (IMO,...the most important decision to make)

I read it and liked it and have my own opinion on the subject, but there was no link to reply to it in the newsletter.

So I replied to what was said here in this thread.

I wasn't complaining. I just would like to se a link there to reply directly to.

I realize that there were links in the body of the message concerning other items that were included. Just not one for the PSU write-up.

Edited by RealNeil