SSD Transplant

Onion

I'm about to slap my 120 GB Kingston SSD into my laptop and install windows... Be back soon with drool and results!

Make sure you take out the battery first :teehee:

Check the sig. :P But thank you. :teehee:

Also, HOLY HELL THIS THING IS FAST! I booted up Windows 7 so fast I didn't even get distracted and look around the room! This is a MASSIVE improvement, even over my hybrid drive, and my raid 0 raptors.

To everyone that doesn't have an SSD yet... GET ONE! GET ONE GET ONE GET ONE! There's my review of the Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB SSD. Am I hired? :P

Edited by l33t p1mp

I love it! :lol: Maybe I'll use the second SSD as my secondary drive instead of my hybrid. :lol:

Also, battery went from 6 hours max to 8 hours 15 minutes max. :O

I went from an SSD and traditional drive to a pure SSD solution and I will never go back. Right now I have a 240 Gig SSD for my OS and applications/games and a 60 Gig SSD for my data, that will soon be upgraded to a 120 gig.

I use up so much storage space that it isn't a viable option for me at the current price. :( But my 750 gb 7200 rpm hybrid should be plenty good as a secondary drive until SSDs get cheap.

I too just purchased a HyperX drive, and it is quite nice. I yanked my old Vertex 2 out of my desktop and slapped it into my laptop. Unfortunately I had to reinstall Windows due to some misalignment error showing up in AS SSD after a direct OS copy, but the laptop is now very fast.

I cannot tell a whole lot of difference between the Vertex 2 and the HyperX, but that is mainly due to the fact that my Marvell 9128 controller on the MB is crap...I'm only getting ~350MB/s read from it. Can't wait to get a real SATA III controller...

I use up so much storage space that it isn't a viable option for me at the current price.

You might want to read my blog entry that is being posted Saturday on Hoarding on your PC :thumbsup:

Edited by ComputerEd

I cannot tell a whole lot of difference between the Vertex 2 and the HyperX, but that is mainly due to the fact that my Marvell 9128 controller on the MB is crap...I'm only getting ~350MB/s read from it. Can't wait to get a real SATA III controller...

The reason you cannot tell the difference is the reality of SSD use. The benchmarking system for SSD lies to the real world user about performance. The throughput of the SSD is not the metric of speed for 99% of computer use despite it being the metric the benchmarks use. Windows does not do large single file transfers. Almost all real world use is reading small files or small sections o data files, this means the drive spends most of it's time seeking, not transferring. THAT is the true speed up of the SSD. The seek time on most SSDs is in the 0.02 to 0.025 ms range, in other words almost instantly. When you compare this to the 9ms and 6 ms speeds you can see across the range of spindle drives, it is easy to see why they feel so much faster.

When you get down to SSD vs SSD the real world performance differences are next to impossible to measure. The only metric that can be seen and then only in very specific circumstances is the throughput. That is why you see reviews spend so much time on throughput, otherwise they would have nothing to say. The truth is even older SSDs can give a performance boost that will appear close to the same as the "fastest" SSD.