Squealing noise from PC speakers

rainwood

My speaker system for my box is Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1.

Recently it started making a squealing noise when it is turned on.

I started having this problem since I changed the mouse to Logitech MX Revolution. This mouse is the replacement of my normal task mouse. Previously I used the USB Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer.

First I thought that the wireless mouse was causing the interference, so I switched to my old USB mouse. The speaker system still emits the squealing sound… I even changed the speaker cables, but it did not help.

I think that this is not because of my sound card; the speaker system makes the squealing sound without itself connected to the sound card. I check each satellite speaker one by one; it makes the sound from every satellite speaker. The system does not make the sound only when no satellite speakers are connected (only the subwoofer).

The sound seems to stop if I leave the system turned on for hours; since the system makes the sound every time it is turned on, I have to change to the headset mode until the squealing sound stops so that I do not have to hear the annoying sound.

I read almost all threads in Klipsch’s support forums for the product, but I was not able to find the solution to my problem.

I wonder if this is the indication that the speaker system is going to die...

I doubt it's your speakers, I bet it has something to do with the usb port you had your mouse connected to. I was having some wierd problems with my usb razer DB. Whenever i hung up my phone that is about 3' away from the pc, it would make a clicking sound that tunrned the led in the mouse on, even though the pc was turned off.

I tried unplugging the mouse, then plugging it back in the same port, and it still glowed red. So i just left it unplugged until i used the pc again. Now it doesn't happen anymore.

My point is, i think usb ports can "remember", or react to something completely random. Did you try using another usb port and re-installing the drivers? You would have to re-install drivers for a different port. I had to a couple times.

For instance, if i plugged my mouse into "port #1", then uplugged it, then tried it in port # 2, the drivers wouldn't show up there, because the mouse was in port 1 when i installed the drivers and won't work in port 2. At least, that's what happened to me.

Usb ports can exhibit strange behavior somethimes for some reason. I still can't get memtest to respond to keyboard commands, even though i have usb mouse disabled, (i have to with the nf3 250gb). It wont' work on an Asus board i have either. I think it has something to do with usb.

Did you try uninstalling the mouse drivers and re-installing them? And I see you're using Vista...could be a bug with it.

you know, I almost posted something like this before we moved. I've got the Klipsch 5.1's also, and I used a digital coax out of the Audigy2 into a Creative DTS-100 decoder. When I would run Eve-Online, Unreal 2004, and I think a couple of other games that were heavy on the cpu, I would get the same low-pitched squealing out of them myself, and I could never figure out wtf it was.

Since we moved and I decided to put the Klipsch out in the living room with teh DTS-100 and my 360, PS2, Xbox, HD-DVR, etc, they've never made that noise again. I'm still using the Audigy2 but now I've just downgraded to a simple Monsoon 2.1 setup and no games give me the squeal.

I know none of this is helpful but I thought I was going crazy...though it sucks to have as a problem, I'm actually glad I'm not the only one who was going crazy over something like this heh.

I had the same issues as you were describing here with my 5.1 ultras. From what I remember, I went crazy checking all the connections and reinstalling drivers for the SB card. I think it ended up being some EAX sound or MIC properties setting that had such a large echo...that it was squealing really loud through the satellites. Not saying that that is your fix but I remember going crazy find the problem. Since these speaks have the standard splice connections, it make it easy to test them by just plugging them into a stereo or a surround sound home theatre receiver.

My eyes kinda missed the fact that you switched to a wireless mouse and still had a problem. Sorry about that, hope you get it fixed. On a side note, I have had problems with eax re; the doom3 eax update.

I run the game for about a minute and it crashes. tried re-installing both game and patch, but the game is unplayable with the eax patch. So here is another

gripe about eax. I've read posts in other forums about people having problems with these speakers. They are really powerful, and prone to a few quirks, i guess.

Yeah, I hear they are pretty much in the "fringe" area of being pc spaekers and home theatre speakers. I personally have never heard them, but many swear by them as the best.

And they're digital. No dac work required.

I appreciated you guys help very much.

I tried unplugging the mouse, then plugging it back in the same port, and it still glowed red. So i just left it unplugged until i used the pc again. Now it doesn't happen anymore.

I had the same issues as you were describing here with my 5.1 ultras. From what I remember, I went crazy checking all the connections and reinstalling drivers for the SB card. I think it ended up being some EAX sound or MIC properties setting that had such a large echo...that it was squealing really loud through the satellites. Not saying that that is your fix but I remember going crazy find the problem. Since these speaks have the standard splice connections, it make it easy to test them by just plugging them into a stereo or a surround sound home theatre receiver.

I'd try them in this evening (I left the speaker system turned on in the mute mode from the last night. I hope the squealing sound stopped by now...).

got to say though, other than a couple problem games, the Klipsch 5.1's are freaking AWESOME!!!

I agreed.

However, I wonder why Klipsch discontinued this product.

Man, that sucks....if my 5.1 ultras die, I will have to settle on getting two sets of klipsch 2.1 speakers and subs and jumper them together in 4.2 mode for gaming.

I appreciated you guys help very much.

My guess is that they are so powerful, they are probably just a little too powerful for a pc speaker system. Like i said, I read a lot of people had problems with these speakers. but the lucky ones that don't, probably have the best 5.1 speakers made for a pc.

Klipsch probably got so many complaints, that they had to stop making them.

Just a guess, but it makes sense. Too bad. I almost bought them too. Would have loved to get a problem-free set of them.

My guess is that they are so powerful, they are probably just a little too powerful for a pc speaker system. Like i said, I read a lot of people had problems with these speakers. but the lucky ones that don't, probably have the best 5.1 speakers made for a pc.

Klipsch probably got so many complaints, that they had to stop making them.

Just a guess, but it makes sense. Too bad. I almost bought them too. Would have loved to get a problem-free set of them.

Or , I thought, Klipsch wants their customers to move to the home theater speaker systems.

I do not know the current trends in the PC speaker systems, but I have not seen many speaker manufactures selling the new 5.1 / 7.1 speaker systems for PCs recently.

As the multimedia / hometheater PCs grow in the market, Klipsch does not find it profitable to sell ‘better’ speaker systems (5.1, 7.1…etc) for PCs.

interresting, i have a klipsch 2.1 system and i noticed that they would make a high pitched squealing sound whenever it was under heavy load (copying files from one HDD to another for example) i turned down the volume and the sound stopped, i figured i was something to do with my windows installation and it was. although i do get an occasional "thump" in the speakers and i know that isnt a windows related problem. the only way i can explain the sound is its exactly like the sound you hear when you unplug the power from the volume pod (idk if the 5.1s have this but my 2.1 does) or from the sub woofer.