Club Windows 8

wevsspot

i like how it saves most all of your files and programs so ya don't have to go re-download everything,...that was helpful !

kwik edit: i had to redoux my catalyst control center in order to underscan for this monitor...win 8 didn't keep ccc from the win 7 programs...

The writer seemed pretty clear that he felt the activation snafu was a result of installing the enterprise edition. CJ didn't mention any issues with activation though.

CJ - please confirm one way or another.

Thanks.

The writer seemed pretty clear that he felt the activation snafu was a result of installing the enterprise edition. CJ didn't mention any issues with activation though.

Thanks.

uh uh nope, no problems with the activation here, smoothe transition to the new os...

i just kinda clicked through and put in the keys as needed during installation...

Isn't that what everyone does with a new software installation?

i hope they do,... it's alot less problematic that way...

but haven't figured out getting my old start button back on my old desktop screen,...would someone please enlighten this geez on how to put it back...

...i have this,...or i have that,...

i hope they do,... it's alot less problematic that way...

but haven't figured out getting my old start button back on my old desktop screen,...would someone please enlighten this geez on how to put it back...

...i have this,...or i have that,...

A few of the popular options are;

Start8 ($5)

and

ClassicShell

I haven't tried either though as I'm content without one.

Thanks.

Yes this is the enterprise version. I know many of us here do IS support for a living so I posted it because it aggravated me.

You can always get Start8 for $5 and never use Metro again. Below is what my desktop looks like using it. I've completely disabled all Metro features using it as well.

Another $5 just to get windows 7 like look? It should have been bundled with the default package.

Scratch that. I thought start8 is windows product. Just googled it now, and came to know it is from stardock. :-/

Edited by d6bmg

Another $5 just to get windows 7 like look? It should have been bundled with the default package.

Scratch that. I thought start8 is windows product. Just googled it now, and came to know it is from stardock. :-/

You make it sound like it's a bad thing, lol. It's really a great piece of software. Especially considering how badly Microsoft wanted to keep the start menu off of Windows 8.

Edited by Nephilumos

You make it sound like it's a bad thing, lol. It's really a great piece of software. Especially considering how badly Microsoft wanted to keep the start menu off of Windows 8.

Well there are free alternatives though for people who don't have 5 bucks to spare :P

I've used Stardock programs before; namely WindowBlinds and ObjectDock and both were great, also Start8 looks more aesthetically pleasing to me compared to classicshell etc..

One of the complaints people have is the HARSH transition between desktop and metro. A fairly simpel fix is to copy the wallpaper so both use the same. To do this go into the Metro interface and scrolls the apps down to their smallest size, now hit Print Screen. Go into Paint and past the screen shot you took and use the color grabber to grab the background color. Now paint over the various things on the screen shot like your name and the apps. Once you have the wallpaper cleaned up use it for the desktop. Now I suggest either changing the task bar color to match the wallpaper or even better do this and then turn on autohide. The transition now from Metro to desktop is less harsh.

Concerning Windows Search, everyone is looking for a place to hit the search, none needed. From the Metro screen start typing Paint, see how quick the search kicks in. All automatic, no need to find the interface for it.

Edited by ComputerEd

CJ, there are couple different options including paid (as mentioned earlier) or free. Various options discuss here;

http://www.overclock...hread-also-club

And here;

http://techmell.com/...ws-7-windows-8/

Programs that make the task simpler;

ViStart

Classic Shell

Startmenu7

Stardock Start8