Galaxy GT 520 MDT Video Card Examined - Multi-display on a Budget

Nemo

You don't have to break the bank to get the ability to drive more than one display with the Multi Display Technology (MDT) line of GPUs from Galaxy. For a mere $50 you can support up to four 1080p DVI monitors with the Galaxy GT 520 MDT - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/galaxy_gt520_mdt/

This product is more designed, it would appear for the work place than for gaming. nVidia has had the issue as you stated that they were limited to dual monitors which makes their low end cards not nearly as attractive as some AMD models for business use. At a $50 price point this card rocks as a perfect choice for someone wanting to setup a multi-monitor display for work and wanting to use more than 2 monitors. I guess someone might want to game with this but this card was obviously never designed with that in mind. I know the review listed this was not a gaming card but I think it should have stressed and covered the potential in a work environment.

Edited by ComputerEd

it says 530 MDT on the bottom of page 1

On multiple places it says 119 Cuda cores, but there are only 64 Cuda cores on a GT520...

Great article, but some proof reading would be nice :cheers:

The connectors on there are DMS-59 which are used often with "professional" graphics cards. We have a bunch of nVidia Quadro NVS285 cards at work with a single DMS-59 connector. You can plug either two DVI or two VGA monitors to one connector. Unfortunately, professional graphics cards generally cost a bit more then your standard desktop ones. So as was mentioned, these could be great for business situations where multiple monitors are helpful but not a lot of 3D work is required. I currently have a AMD 785 motherboard and a HD3650 card for a total of 3 DVI (plus one unused VGA connector) on my work computer driving three monitors. The 3650 was on sale and was the cheapest fanless dual-DVI card I could find. I have had some minor driver issues with the two different GPUs. Having one card do this and for apparently much less than the professional cards would be a nice option.

Other option for some of our PCs was to use old matrox PCI cards. They work off the standard microsoft display driver so there's no driver issues and can get up to 1280x1024 on a VGA connector. These things are from around '95/'96 and are still kicking. Unlike my collection of AGP cards that are useless.

Is this card actually going to be $50? Other reviews list the MSRP as $130! :whoa: Certainly changes the value aspect if true...http://www.techspot.com/review/490-galaxy-mdt-geforce-gt-520/

Edited by Waco

• 4 weeks later...