the Fitness Thread

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So am I the only Martial Artist here? :unsure:

Martial Arts is my main form of "keeping fit", though I didn't start it to keep fit. I started it with the intent to build up my strength, endurance, increase my awareness, nimbleness ...and mostly to increase my aptitude of fighting. I really enjoy the people I am training with. I do sustain quite a few injuries - mostly just bone bruises but also some that had me see some docs about. Honestly, I think I was healthier before I took up martial arts again. :lol:

Also do some CrossFit though not enough to really say I do it. Classes are expensive and I'm already juggling quite a bit. I do prefer it over straight weight training. When I stopped weight training I told myself I wouldn't do it again so not a really a fan of that stuff in CrossFit. I do like how they incorporate ways of including weights outside of the standard lifting regimens though.

Morning Warmup (Day 1)

Pullups: 40

Pushups: 50

25lb curls: 24

Situps: 130

That is a pretty beefy warmup for Day 1, no? Not like I should talk since I'm guilty of going overboard too, but 40 pullups on Day 1 is pretty beast. :thumbsup:

Fogel just mentioned CrossFit. Does anyone do that regularly in here?

I did for two months before spraining my ankle. And it is the best form of exercise I've ever done. I'll hopefully be starting this summer again.

It manages to work your entire body, never the same routine, you train useful movements and it's still many places a small community, thus giving a more friendly atmosphere.

Oh ya, CrossFit would totally be workout of choice if I didn't spend so much time on Martial Arts. It doesn't sculpt your body like weight lifting does but it gives you more functional strength. I never felt as good completing a weight program as I do completing a WOD. The workouts are a blast and like you said, the CrossFit gyms have a great group of people that are always there cheering you on. Honestly the thing that I like most about CrossFit is the culture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzD9BkXGJ1M

Went down to the gym at lunch today so I could leave work early and beat all of the traffic home. Different time of day and still no one using the squat rack. Worked up to 310x2. Was going for 3 but I'll take it with all the stuff I've had going on this week. Followed up with Romanian deadlifts, step ups, and abs with reverse flys.

So am I the only Martial Artist here? :unsure:

Nope, I have studied various forms of Martial Arts since I was a child. I agree that it is a great source of exercise.

Nope, I have studied various forms of Martial Arts since I was a child. I agree that it is a great source of exercise.

Thank goodness :cheers:

Also glad I didn't start a martial arts thread. You are definitely someone I value an opinion on but probably would have been boring with just the two of us. :P

Did my pushup workouts this morning, did not run.... chased a horse around the pen for half an hour... that might count.

Edit and i did my book workout.

Edited by SpeedCrazy

Thank goodness :cheers:

Also glad I didn't start a martial arts thread. You are definitely someone I value an opinion on but probably would have been boring with just the two of us. :P

I know their are at least a couple more. Bosco is into MMA I know for sure.