Recommendations for new ISP

Pteroduck

i am definitely not for the business class. 40 bucks, i dont expect much, just something decent not ridiciously overpriced, im in the houston area but the main ones i see are comcast and ATT, for some odd reason, my address wont let suddenlink or any non major ISP have srevice in my area. its very odd.

I know for sure the major ISP's like comcast and AT&T have it, comcast is capping at 250gb and the same for AT&T i believe

Any ideas? I looked at hudson net, hilarious prices, 60 bucks for 1mb up 512k down....

i am definitely not for the business class. 40 bucks, i dont expect much, just something decent not ridiciously overpriced, im in the houston area but the main ones i see are comcast and ATT, for some odd reason, my address wont let suddenlink or any non major ISP have srevice in my area. its very odd.

I know for sure the major ISP's like comcast and AT&T have it, comcast is capping at 250gb and the same for AT&T i believe

Any ideas? I looked at hudson net, hilarious prices, 60 bucks for 1mb up 512k down....

250gb is quite high, i really can't think of why anyone would go over that tbh. if you downloaded a game a day most games being 10gb each thats 25 days before you hit cap. even streaming HDX movies on the net wouldn't use that up if you watched movies all day every day, not to mention at 3mbps your not even going to be able to stream those types of movies. I download alot and think highest I have ever been is around 200GB.

As far as the isp goes , i would just call them I hear great things about the att service, but i can't get them here so i don't know first hand. Just don't get a bundle or a contract and try each one out, see what you like best thats what i would suggest. Your not stuck with them forever just because you used em for a month.

I would agree with everything Mikesnow said, although $80/mo sound harsh. I know they offer DSL in my area for $35/mo but I think that is 1Mb Down.

I'm pretty much doing the same thing Mike is doing - DirecTV and Fiber for internet. I know Mike recommended against package deals but that is honestly the only way I know how to get decent internet service for $40/mo ...that is assuming you are already paying for cable TV and accounting for that monthly expense. If all you got is $40/mo for non-essentials than it will probably be 1-7Mb download. You might be able to squeek 7Mb download DSL.

• 2 weeks later...

Really? I struggle to stay under 500Gb p/m. Luckily there's no excess usage charges.

EDIT:

Okay dl speeds, poor upload speeds though

http://www.speedtest.../2263456087.png

at that speed it would have to be a capped download for 48 stright hours to hit 250Gb. I know it's not hard to hit some these caps isp put in place, but really most normal use won't. If you like to download torrent and stuff then yes I can see why, but just for gaming your not going to hit it or like netflix and vudu youtubes. But yes if you download lots of movies and songs I can see that.

at 4mbs if capped it would be 6 days of capped uniterupted downloading to hit 250gb, which is what he will get at $40 a month. Normally they give you more cap when you get faster connections too.