Fans for watercooling

skyjam

Are you running the fans you have on you're radiator at 12v? If so, then no wonder they are loud. Those Xinrulian fans are supposed to be quite good. 

You mean they are quieter than Noctua fans?

Oh I don't think they are that quiet lol, but I have heard several people claim that they were very similar to Scythe GT's. See for yourself:

http://www.overclock.net/products/xinruilian-fans/reviews

Nothing beats personal preference though. 

Edited by AddictedGamer93

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I either use Noctua's (which are silent and still cool well even with the 7V Resistors), but I've lately been liking the Corsair AF120's with the 7V resistors. Pushes a lot more air, and is quiet (but not as silent as the Noctua's. And of course, everything looks better not in beige/red.

Noise level is very personal, what is loud to some people is not loud to others. Also the ambient noise of the room plays a huge factor in how much the fan noise matters.

I am a big fan, pun not intended, of PWM solutions. When my system is idle I am usually not pumping out sound so I want my PC to be quieter and at lower power you get lower temps and thus lower fans speeds. However I want to fans to ramp up if needed as I push the system, which is usually gaming. Because it is gaming that usually causes my noise to ramp it really does not bother me because I am in headphones happily blowing things up.

I use 38mm thick fans instead of 25mm, and recommend that if you have the room. They are superior to 25mm fans in every way (except maybe price).

I personally use Delta fans on a bay controller for my top 360 rad, but they are expensive and noisy - even on a controller - so may not be for everyone. I chose the tri-blade "SHE" Deltas because of the balance between CFM, static pressure, and importantly amps so I can run all three on a controller without breaking the 1a per channel limit. The are also slightly (3db) quieter then the standard fans.  They were around 20 bucks each.

My front 280 rad will probably use a pair of Prolimatech Vortex 140s...dirt cheap, quiet, and 87cfm :).

I either use Noctua's (which are silent and still cool well even with the 7V Resistors), but I've lately been liking the Corsair AF120's with the 7V resistors. Pushes a lot more air, and is quiet (but not as silent as the Noctua's. And of course, everything looks better not in beige/red.

AF120s are probably the worst fans you could put on a radiator.  Sure, they're quiet, but they're designed for low-resistance situations (like case fan mounts) and definitely not heatsinks or rads.

The SP120 (either version), when throttled down, would be nearly as quiet but would actually cool well.

Another factor to consider is where you will place the fans. This is a none issue if you are setting up for Push/Pull. However if you are using a single fan ( 2 for a 240mm radiator) then my experience has been to set these up to PUSH through the radiator. The reason for this is that is easier to push and overcome resistance than it is to pull through it. I have consistently seen lower temps with closed loops when set to push. Not a huge difference, often only 2C or so but when you can gain an advantage for free you should use it.

Another factor to consider is where you will place the fans. This is a none issue if you are setting up for Push/Pull. However if you are using a single fan ( 2 for a 240mm radiator) then my experience has been to set these up to PUSH through the radiator. The reason for this is that is easier to push and overcome resistance than it is to pull through it. I have consistently seen lower temps with closed loops when set to push. Not a huge difference, often only 2C or so but when you can gain an advantage for free you should use it.

I have found the same thing through testing.

If you are going to run one side of fans, let them push through the rad :).

AF120s are probably the worst fans you could put on a radiator.  Sure, they're quiet, but they're designed for low-resistance situations (like case fan mounts) and definitely not heatsinks or rads.

The SP120 (either version), when throttled down, would be nearly as quiet but would actually cool well.

Lol, you're kidding, right?

Basic AF120 is ridiculously low static pressure. It won't perform  as well as a larger blade "torquey" fan on a high performance (high fin density) radiator. May be just fine on a thin one designed for quiter fans like the Swiftech ones, but not the thicker performance rads like Feser and Aquacomputer.

The SP version of the Corsair fans are a lot better for a radiator.

AF120s are probably the worst fans you could put on a radiator. Sure, they're quiet, but they're designed for low-resistance situations (like case fan mounts) and definitely not heatsinks or rads.

No I'm really not. AF120s and AF140s have almost no static pressure.

Nothing beats personal preference though. 

Yeah, you have said it!!

Noise tolerance level is personal. I use D14 and while running at full speed, it seems real quiet to me.

Again, static air pressure matters much if the fan is used to push air into rad.