Looking for a distro

Psywar

So I have been taking some networking classes over at the college. Some of them are getting in to hardcore security.

I was considering dual booting a distro of linux on my laptop.

My first pick was going to be BackTrack5 but I have read if you have not used linux in a while it would not be a good distro to start out on again.

Any suggestions? I will be doing a lot of testing of networks. Packet sniffing, etc. etc.

I need something that will work with my system.

i7 2ghz processor. 8gb ram. Nvidia gforce 460m.

I was looking at kubuntu but it requires me to swap out the kernel to use multi processors.

Dual boot? Isn't that outdated :P

I was thinking Flash Drive, but since I started going to school full time I am on the go so much I know I will misplace it.

So booting from a USB drive is kinda .... iffy... lol!

Oh lol!

I would have to recheck, but I am pretty certain I cannot make use of my Wifi Card using a VM... To do some of my security testing/penetration stuff I would have to be able to utilize the WiFi card in the OS.

That was my reasoning for not going with VMware.

yeah, for networking/security classes it's MUCH better to run it natively.

I'd go ahead and play around with BT5. I ran BT3 for a while, but i only used the liveCD, and didn't do too much with it.

Nevermind I am just going to use BackTrack5.

Gonna dive in.

Right now im using ubuntu but iv tried BT5 as well. IIRC (whih im not sure i am tho) BT5 is basically ubuntu but with some included tools..