Want to start a new build - Go with X79 or Z75/77?

Hey guys, there's a bunch of great games on the horizon so I want to build a new computer to hopefully max them out at 1920x1080.

I'm currently running a P45/E8400 with a GTX 280 that I plan to convert into a portable form factor for LAN parties (I'll probably buy a micro atx board or something)

As my new main computer, I'm considering going for Sandy-E or waiting for Ivy. The integrated GPU of Ivy doesn't really matter since I'll be getting a discrete video card anyways. I've been an nvidia fan since forever so that means the GTX 680, haha. If I go for Sandy, will that keep me competitive for 2 more years?

Any recommendations?

Cheers,

:cheers:

Sb-e is workstation/productivity work not gaming.

Ivy is just sb with a die shrink.

If you only plan on 24/7 overclocked of 4.6-4.8 then stick with sb it will be cheaper than ivy and you won't need to wait.

Then for cooler temps and if you really don't need 8 threads grab a 2500k.

The 680 looks great and yes it will keep you competitive for quite some time.

Considering you are going micro tho I recommend wait till ivy comes and look for a small case that will take a d14 get the best cooling and noise out of your small case. You would need to wait on a good quiet aftermarket cooler anyway.

Actually the old rig is going to be lan rig so don't worry :lol:

I thought you'd barely see any difference when going from PCI-E 2.0 to 3.0, especially in gaming..?

That aside, I don't think you'd need anything more then a 2500K for a gaming rig. If the FX-8120 was priced substantially lower, I'd pick that over the 2500K and get a better GPU. In the end, the GPU would be the one handling most of the work..

With that said, I vote for SB/IB rather then X79.. (Although if you were to get X79, you'd be able to upgrade to IB-E next year should you need to)

Hmm, so I guess I'll add Sandy to my list of choices and do a cost comparison. I don't really have a budget but I'm not willing to spend a large amount over a good Sandy system for anything less than a substantial real-world performance gain. :biggrin:

Either way, I suppose I should wait for Ivy to become available in stores and hopefully prices will go down then.

A 2500K would be the highest I'd recommend for a gaming machine. If I could go back in time I'd have gotten a 2500K instead of the 2600K I have now. :lol:

• Like 1

Hmm, so I guess I'll add Sandy to my list of choices and do a cost comparison. I don't really have a budget but I'm not willing to spend a large amount over a good Sandy system for anything less than a substantial real-world performance gain. :biggrin:

Either way, I suppose I should wait for Ivy to become available in stores and hopefully prices will go down then.

As of now, with a $1 - 1.5K budget, you'd have an epic gaming rig already :biggrin:

Actually, one thing I'm concerned about is that if the next great thing in video cards actually gets a benefit from PCI-E 3.0, then I'd have to upgrade the mobo as well when that happens :( (If I go with current gen P67 or Z68)

I have no idea what the chances of that are though. But I can dream :sleep:

Actually, one thing I'm concerned about is that if the next great thing in video cards actually gets a benefit from PCI-E 3.0, then I'd have to upgrade the mobo as well when that happens :( (If I go with current gen P67 or Z68)

I have no idea what the chances of that are though. But I can dream :sleep:

Some of the current mobo's for SB are PCI-e 3.0 capable if I'm not mistaken. Anything by ASUS ending in "Gen 3" for example.