need to create a web site

nice_shoes

I have been doing more research on the site i mentioned above and i think that if you dont already have a hosting contract that it is one of the simpler and easier options for a quick and painless transition to a web presence for a small business. I believe the year long contract is $34 for the pro version, the free version is of course free.

I did look at wordpress.org as per an earlier suggestion, but it appears to focus on blogs, not necessarily a multi-page web site. Is that correct, or did I get it wrong? For my web site project, I imagine that I should end up with about 4 - 8 pages when I finish...........will wordpress accommodate that?........is it easy to use for a n00b?

See my earlier post. WordPress is a Content Management System. Yes, it will handle 4 - 8 pages... heck, it will handle 4000 - 8000 pages if you need it to. Yes, it is easy for a n00b, which is why it has become one of the most popular content management systems used for blogs. The last couple of updates have made it even easier to use as a pure CMS rather than simply a blogging platform, and the plugins and themes that are available give you a high level of customization without having to go in and edit code... and if you want to dig into the code (PHP) you can extend it even further.

If you are going to use Wordpress be sure to requiere users to create an account before they can post.

Either way you will have 100+ SPAM messages per day.

My friend used it and It was a pain in the butt. Now the site is abandoned.

The good thing with wordpress is that you may modify the site (if you know how to code) to your specific requirements. I've never found that option but well.. I wasn't interested in that site neither.

I have heard of an Application to do simple websites, but I can't remember the name right now. It was on the university and they told us to use it if we couldn't join another student, because that will make the things easier. As I only wanted to learn I left that course. I refused to use that application because that wasn't going to help me in the future, I had to learn to program by myself. I found that course pretty nonsense if you are going to use that application I was like o.O. But you could learn new technologies as hibernate if you manage to get another student to work with you.

Another thing. I'm not sure but I think you are required to have some html experience coding, with joomla. I don't know if it is fully-automatic. But I never used it so I counld't assure you.

I'm trying to decide between Wordpress and Weebly.

• for Wordpress: I'm concerned about what loco_frags wrote about the 100+ SPAM per day
  • for Weebly: I'm concerned that I can build the site but won't be able to load it directly to my current URL, that I would have to use them to re-direct to their site and I'd rather just build it and load direvctly to my current URL

LOL, that just a misunderstanding, your URL points to whatever server and directory you please. You just tell them you want to use that url and they will update the information on the registrars database to reflect the new location of your website. Your url by itself is meaningless, all it does is point to a server and folder. When you type in a url it goes to the registars db, finds the url, finds the associated server and db and then loads that.

so you have no problems with weebly. Use it.

If you are looking for something simple I recommend simply Google Sites. They are easy to throw together something small without too much effort. It's pretty straight forward and there are tons of templates. Otherwise I think these guys have got you covered for good options. :D

I forgot about Google Sites... it may also work for what you need. It is very simple.

I'm trying to decide between Wordpress and Weebly.

• for Wordpress: I'm concerned about what loco_frags wrote about the 100+ SPAM per day
  • for Weebly: I'm concerned that I can build the site but won't be able to load it directly to my current URL, that I would have to use them to re-direct to their site and I'd rather just build it and load direvctly to my current URL

Being that you aren't going to be using WordPress for a blog, and simply creating pages you can turn the comments off on your pages and have nothing to worry about on the spam side. Additionally, there have been a number of improvements to Akismet and other services that prevent spam. Though most WP sites end up using Delicious, IntenseDebate, or other comment plugin/services rather than the basic one included with WordPress.

• 2 months later...

I used Google Sites to create my own website. The end result looks pretty good despite me changing pretty much nothing, and they host it for free...

And I even got to use my own domain name...

( http://site.thedrunkengamers.com if you're interested in seeing it.)

EDIT: Hah, bluepanda beat me to the punch. But yeah, they've got a lot of good templates and such. And you can easily fool around with the base HTML code too.

Edited by Locutus