WD Caviar Green Vs Caviar Black

00stevo

Ah, I see. I was basing it off of my experience with my two Green drives: Both are 5400RPM drives. I have no problems with them as data storage drives, but I wouldn't put them as my main OS drive, like the others have said.

Thats actually very tempting.But i see its 'only' got 16mb cache.

How does the cache affect the drive? Is it used as some sort of prefetch? And is bigger cache= more performance?

Yes the bigger the cache the better the performance but usually the increase in performance isn't very noticeable.

It doesn't really matter if the drive is just fast, extra cache helps but it's more of a crutch in a way. With a smaller drive it doesn't seem to matter as much, that's why you don't see alot of 32MB+ 250GBs and what not

I've used that 500GB in my dad's and a cousin's computer and it's very quiet and very quick!

I don't think drives larger than 500GB should be used for an OS drive, usually between 250-500GB is a happy preferred range for me when choosing an OS drive. (my laptop has a 500GB and my desktop used to have 300GB)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Definately go for the black, greens are great for storage alone or a media player. If I'm trying to browse the drive after an idle period, takes between 5-10 seconds to get that initial response from it, which would be horrible for the OS.

Are the WD Green's that bad?? My LowPower Seagate drive is awesome, I honestly can't tell it's a "green" drive. I even opted for my friend to use one as his OS drive and it turned out to be a prime choice.

I don't know about Samsung's Green offerings either but Seagate's are great