WD Caviar Green Vs Caviar Black

00stevo

So im looking for a new HDD since im getting a funny feeling about the one in my sig.

Its becoming noticeably noisier from when i first had it,and the last HDD i had that was doing that i thankfully replaced just before it went 6 under.

So anyway im looking at these two WD drives from Ebuyer UK.Take a look and let me know what you guys think:

750gb Green: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/248477

750gb Black: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/247565

Im not too sure what the 'Green' side of things mean.As far as im aware its a power save thing,but does it affecy the overall performance of the drive?

Thanks in advance.

green drives tend to run at 5900rpm v the black caviars 7200rpm but the one u posted shows 7200rpm so odd... i think it can slow rpm further to power save and this might cause a small delay? thanks for showing me that website... i might buy a black caviar again :)

320gb is cheaper than 250! lol how odd

Edited by Dan The Gamer

Yeah Ebuyer is funny with their prices sometimes.

Your better off selecting the category your after,then hitting low-to-high youll find some real bargains inamongst the cheap stuff.

Im leaning towards the caviar black,i want as much performance as i can get for my money.

Green runs at 5400 RPMs, not 5900

This particular "Green" mentioned in the post doesn't, at least not when active, if you'd care to investigate further? I presume it idles at or around 5400 but jumps to 7200 when needed which in itself will make it a little slower?

This particular "Green" mentioned in the post doesn't, at least not when active, if you'd care to investigate further? I presume it idles at or around 5400 but jumps to 7200 when needed which in itself will make it a little slower?

What green drives use mostly instead of a set RPM, is something called Intellipower. Which from what I can tell is similar to what you described above.

yeah the bigger cache... plus it doesn't have that spin down thing which delays sometimes and causes lag... they don't ship to ireland! :(

This is the biggest annoyance of the 1tb caviar green, or of any hdd that ive ever used. Even if you have windows set to leave the drive running 24/7, it will still power itself down, and go into a standby mode after about 5-10 min of idleing. Its programmed into the hdd's firmware. It isnt too big of a deal if its used as a secondary storage drive, but its horrible for a main os drive. Mine came inside of my 1TB WD MyBook. I had to open it up and use it as a main os drive for about a month, until I could replace my os drive that failed. Needless to say, it was a big PITA to wait 5-8 seconds for your computer to start responding again after you walk away from you pc for a few min.

As far as the Speed, a lot of the older green drives were 5400-5900rpm, but most of the new ones, to include my 1tb green, is 7200rpm. They also have a smaller cache than the black's.

All in all, I would avoid this drive like the plague if your going to use it as a main drive.

Edited by sYstEmATiC

stupid.gif

I own a 1TB Green Caviar, and whats he said is right on spot. Get the Black Caviar if u can, It consumes more power but its faster and the cache is bigger. I got SATA 3 version of the Caviar Black and it has 64Mb Cache.

Edited by My_Inner_Fred